Audit

• Hi,

I have a SQL box that is in prod. It is 2012 EE Ed on Windows 2012R2 on server core. Now every 5 min it seems I get a failed login

DESCRIPTION:Login failed for user 'fred'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided. [CLIENT: xxx.xx.xx.xx]

where the CLIENT is the DB host. Now I can not see where this is actually coming from as the app that uses that account is not installed on the db server and they jobs that run to maintain the app do not fit in the 5 min cycle I am seeing.

Any ideas on how to look to see where this may be coming from ?

Thanks

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• You could use a trace to filter for the login name , I would recommend audit only if you plan to implement it fully not as a way to troubleshoot failed logins. ALso by default a lot of the info your looking for should already be part of the default trace.

Is this a windows login or sql login? Why are the passwords mismatched ? if your using a job then probably you need to change the jobs to run under the context of a service account instead of user account

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• It is a sql login, and I can only assume the application has the incorrect password hard coded in somewhere, but I am not sure where.

My main concern is why it seems to be coming from the DB host IP when the app is NOT installed on there at all.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Its better to run a trace and capture the Ip and hostname first , do you have any other instances on the server ? Have you checked the windows event log? for any login activity during the error?

If its from the db server itself , its most likely a job , keep in mind a job doesnt always have to be scheduled in SQ Server agent , check Task Scheduler as well.

It could come from any instance on the server in case you have more than one.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• So I have run a trace but it doesn't tell me anything.....it doesn't tell me what client it is coming from or anything.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply