Assistance in automating a back-up proc.

• ok, so now i have made a proc that when runs it makes back-up files of each database on my server. I need a way to automat this process. One person keeps telling isql can help (tried to read about that, I didn't understand) i also know about windows scheduler but have heard that it's not reliable. Any suggestions? 😎

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue; it rather denotes a lack of courage.
    -Practical Magic[/font]

• I think you should be looking at a SQL Server Agent job for scheduling your proc. In SSMS, you should see the SQL Server Agent node at the very bottom of the Object Explorer tree. Right click, select New Job, and it will walk you through setting up the job and the schedule.

hth,

Eric

edit: I just realized this is not a wizard - you'll need to work through each node of the dialog to get a scheduled job set up. Take a look at BOL under SQL Server Agent (lots of entries) - the "how-to's" give you a pretty good intro.

Eric

[font="Tahoma"]Eric Flamm, Flamm Consulting[/font]

• I'd follow Eric's advice. SQL Agent has some good features for scheduling, using proxy accounts, notification, etc.

You could use isql (or SQLCMD) and the Windows Scheduled (Scheduled Tasks), but it's not as robust.

• You could also use a different approach and build the backup job by creating a new maintenance plan (open the management node). This will give you the option to schedule the job from within the maintenance plan.

Regards,

Carla Hepker
    Documentation: A Shaft of light into a coded world.

• Hello. We've never had much success when setting up administrative tasks thru the maintenance wizard and having these tasks run reliably day in day out. We develop our own scripts and, as others have said, schedule them thru the SQL job scheduler.

Ken

• My problem is that don't have access to management stuff because we are running SQL express. this is the reason i wrote something to make back-ups.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue; it rather denotes a lack of courage.
    -Practical Magic[/font]

• Windows scheduler with SQLCMD is your platform in sqlExpress.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply