Are Triggers a "legacy" Feature? (Database Weekly, Nov 08 2008)

• quackhandle1975 (4/5/2013)

I have seen Cursors in triggers bring systems to a complete halt (I know as I had to debug it!). Best avoided IMHO.

I've seen 7 peple killed in a crash because American tourist were driving the van on the wrong side on a New Zealand road.

Best not to let Americans to drive.

If you find this comment stupid do not worry, I think of it the same way.

Just keep in mind - it carries the same logic as your comment about triggers above.

• Sergiy, you made my day lighter 😀

• Sergiy (4/8/2013)

quackhandle1975 (4/5/2013)

I have seen Cursors in triggers bring systems to a complete halt (I know as I had to debug it!). Best avoided IMHO.

I've seen 7 peple killed in a crash because American tourist were driving the van on the wrong side on a New Zealand road.

Best not to let Americans to drive.

If you find this comment stupid do not worry, I think of it the same way.

Just keep in mind - it carries the same logic as your comment about triggers above.

Odd reply, Sergiy. My comment was aimed at beginners and programmers who find themselves coding t-sql.

You may want to check out the following sites:

http://www.sqlbook.com/SQL/Avoiding-using-SQL-Cursors-20.aspx

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • quackhandle1975 (4/8/2013)

Odd reply, Sergiy. My comment was aimed at beginners and programmers who find themselves coding t-sql.

I reread your comment 5 times more - it does not say anything about "beginners and programmers who find themselves coding t-sql".

Not a word. Not a hint.

Intead - you put the blame on triggers and called to avoid them.

Pretty stupid call.

Sorry.

I've seen .Net developers bringing dows 2 pretty powerful servers down by misusing remote calls in procedures.

And exausting server tresources by using front-end formatting in views.

What should we avoid here - remote calls, procedures, view?

Because we won't avoid stupidity and incompetence - it's ours everything!

• Sergiy (4/8/2013)

quackhandle1975 (4/8/2013)

I reread your comment 5 times more - it does not say anything about "beginners and programmers who find themselves coding t-sql".

Not a word. Not a hint.

Pretty stupid call.

Sorry.

I've seen .Net developers bringing dows 2 pretty powerful servers down by misusing remote calls in procedures.

How ridiculous. Why take everything to the absurd Sergiy? If you want to laugh in the face of best practices, go ahead, enjoy, but where is it your place to tear down those that are attempting to provide real help to those seeking assistance?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Sergiy (4/8/2013)

quackhandle1975 (4/8/2013)

Not a word. Not a hint.

Pretty stupid call.

Sorry.

Okay final comment on this matter. I hold my hand up and I should have mentioned that, where you can, try NOT to use CURSORS in TRIGGERS if you aren't aware of the consequences. I should have been clearer, I was not saying avoid triggers. That would be a daft call.

I'm big enough to handle criticism with grace and politeness, Sergiy I suggest you try the same. Thank you opc.three for the support.

Cheers

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • quackhandle1975 (4/9/2013)

I should have been clearer, I was not saying avoid triggers.

Yes, this one looks very different. 🙂

They say - consider environment. Look at the name of the article you're putting your comment to. Whatever you (me, whoever) put in here would be interpreted in this particular context.

That would be a daft call.

Agreed.

But this is exactly the call made in the article.

And seemingly promoted by opc.three to "best practices", if I understand him right.

Hm, daft...

😎

• Sergiy (4/9/2013)

quackhandle1975 (4/9/2013)

I should have been clearer, I was not saying avoid triggers.

Yes, this one looks very different. 🙂

They say - consider environment. Look at the name of the article you're putting your comment to. Whatever you (me, whoever) put in here would be interpreted in this particular context.

That would be a daft call.

Agreed.

But this is exactly the call made in the article.

And seemingly promoted by opc.three to "best practices", if I understand him right.

Hm, daft...

😎

If I were you I would not bother trying to put words in others mouths. You obviously have enough trouble controlling the ones coming out of your own mouth.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply