Are there still sql server developer roles or only oracle?

• Are sql server developers still needed or this role was take over by oracle developers? I know that both t-sql and pl/sql languages allow you to achieve the same, but it seems like almost all development projects are made in oracle.
    I see a lot of job offers looking for oracle (pl/sql) developer, while most sql server jobs are in BI/ analyst role. That's why I came up with this question. Is sql server development still 'alive' or it is used only for BI/ analysis now?

PS. I know it's sql server forum, but I would like to know your opinion on this 'thesis'.

• tomektar213 - Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:14 PM

Are sql server developers still needed or this role was take over by oracle developers? I know that both t-sql and pl/sql languages allow you to achieve the same, but it seems like almost all development projects are made in oracle.
    I see a lot of job offers looking for oracle (pl/sql) developer, while most sql server jobs are in BI/ analyst role. That's why I came up with this question. Is sql server development still 'alive' or it is used only for BI/ analysis now?

PS. I know it's sql server forum, but I would like to know your opinion on this 'thesis'.

It may depend on where you live and where you are looking. I'm in the US and there are still plenty of SQL Server developer jobs.
    Title doesn't always mean that much although for these searches, the first few pages the title was the about the same as the search phrase:
    I did a search on Indeed for "SQL Server Developer". It returned over 19,000 jobs
    I did a search on Indeed for "Oracle Developer". It returned over 13,000 jobs.
    Doesn't really look like it's all just Oracle or just BI/Analyst for SQL Server.

Sue

• Sue_H - Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:29 PM

tomektar213 - Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:14 PM

Are sql server developers still needed or this role was take over by oracle developers? I know that both t-sql and pl/sql languages allow you to achieve the same, but it seems like almost all development projects are made in oracle.

It may depend on where you live and where you are looking. I'm in the US and there are still plenty of SQL Server developer jobs.
    Title doesn't always mean that much although for these searches, the first few pages the title was the about the same as the search phrase:
    I did a search on Indeed for "SQL Server Developer". It returned over 19,000 jobs
    Doesn't really look like it's all just Oracle or just BI/Analyst for SQL Server.

Sue

First of all thank you for such a quick response Sue.

Back to the topic, I am of course aware that in this case, where we live is important but despite that I was wondering if maybe Oracle is better for some applications or sth and therefore there will always be more development projects (and jobs) in this dbms. I have no experience working in Oracle, that's also why I get this conclusion (not saying I'm right, just asking).

• tomektar213 - Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:45 PM

Sue_H - Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:29 PM

tomektar213 - Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:14 PM

Sue

First of all thank you for such a quick response Sue.

Back to the topic, I am of course aware that in this case, where we live is important but despite that I was wondering if maybe Oracle is better for some applications or sth and therefore there will always be more development projects (and jobs) in this dbms. I have no experience working in Oracle, that's also why I get this conclusion (not saying I'm right, just asking).

Oracle would work better for Oracle Apps or Oracle Financials since it's only Oracle. And that type of work is very different from "regular" Oracle. But that's about it.
    You may want to search on Market share for different database platforms as it's not all about Oracle.
    I would think that if Oracle really had more development projects and opportunities, there would be significantly more jobs in Oracle than SQL Server. And that doesn't seem to be the case.

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply