Are the posted questions getting worse?

• BrainDonor - Friday, March 17, 2017 2:40 AM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:17 AM

I am actually thinking SS is different people.  Person is getting snarky now, that isn't normal.

I've suspected that for a long time. Back in the early days of my membership of SSC that account used to post some really interesting and knowledgeable replies. I know - hard to believe.
    One day I saw a question from that account that surprised me, because I thought it was far too basic for that person, based upon what I had read for some time. Ever since then it has been as we now expect.
    The syntax changed considerably too, which led me to believe somebody else was using the account.

There's been quite a bit of discussion in the past about whether maybe we've seen a sequence of people with different levels of competence/knowledge/willingness to do anything for themselves using the SS username.  Personally, I'm convinced we've had several different people using it at different times.

Tom

• On the grammar thing, I reckon most of the problems I see here are undetected typos, nothing to do with grammar.  Probably most people who post here can type pretty well, and i know from experience that once you type well your proof-reading tends to become a bit loose and inadequate.  Then when people get old like me and get caught up with stupid keyboard geometry (a stroke pad plus buttons acting like a mouse between them and a flat keyboard, for example - or even just the flat keyboard) plus typing accuracy maybe dying off a bit with age they end up posting some pretty odd things.  That ensures that I post some pretty strange stuff.  But none iof i is grammar problems
    The strange foreign versions of English can create confusion too - between American English, English English,  Scots English, Indian English, Middle Eastern English, Geman English, Canadian English, and many more there's plenty of room for difficulty in understanding - and sometimes grammar issues can happen there (eg various versions of AmE and of BrE have some grammatical differences).

Tom

• I use nodes because usually we're looking for specific values. Nodes works great if you need a WHERE clause to search the XML. But I'll be honest, I haven't played with OpenXML at all, so I wouldn't know where to begin on that.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Ahhh. I love it when I can reuse code I wrote for an article when I have an urgent thing to fix in my environment. No writing the code from scratch.

I just repurposed my Database Dependents code to search for a login. Someone left the company and had certain DB access, but we weren't certain where. It was nice not to have to write that search from scratch.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Sean Lange - Friday, March 17, 2017 10:59 AM

I hate to admit it but when I see posts like that I always just assume they are about 25 and don't know any better because they never had to write anything correctly. I see this kind of stuff making it ways more and more into the work place which drives me crazy. I never really thought I would be a grumpy old man but here I am killing it. 🙂

I think I've been a grumpy old man since I was about 13...

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, March 19, 2017 7:00 PM

Matt Miller (#4) - Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:47 PM

Jeff Moden - Sunday, March 19, 2017 3:59 PM

Matt Miller (#4) - Sunday, March 19, 2017 1:19 PM

Jeff Moden - Sunday, March 19, 2017 7:23 AM

Don't let the intro to the intro put you off too much (I have to admit, I almost gave up there, myself).  They get better as they get into it but, yes, they do some stuff that I'd never do and I'm no XML ninja.  My worry is what newbies to SQL Server may get out of it.  They seem to cover syntax and capabilities with no real world experience or coverage of caveats.  I think that's, with rare exceptions, the problem with most computer training and books, though.  There are so many holes you could go down on any subject within SQL Server that you could spend most of the time on the holes instead of the subject.  Like the old saying goes (from the Mayflower donut shops?) ....

"As you ramble on through life, Brother,
    Whatever be your goal,
    Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
    And not upon the hole."

Oh I know:  I do get it.  Not using namespaces ranks somewhere between not qualifying your column names in queries and the (WITH NOLOCK) everywhere "best pactices" in my book, so it gets me a bit worked up :crazy:

I guess my question would be the same as if a query had only one table.  It you only have one "name-spaceable-thing", why would a name space be important?  And, no... not a challenge.  I'm trying to learn, as well.

It's not AS important as when you have multiple but still valuable. 

One of the original  assumptions around XML was that you could be interacting across a disconnected network, so frankly you can't assume what version of your code that remote agent might be configured to interact with. The URI format was really intended so that they *could* be valid, and orgs could publish their "contract" (how do you interact with them, what services they might offer).

If you were to tag ALL messages when the NS they were based on (even if you don't tag every single element within the message), you'd know what version they are on so you'd know what to do with it.  One of the best practices there of course is that the URI contain not just the "what is it" but also what edition, usually in the form of a date.  Your validations can stay in play based on versioning, so you still get all of the goodness without the cost of a dedicated connection.

We've built "up-sizing" code to fill in the blanks on older version of the messages so that they can fit into our newer editions, etc...

Hmmmm.... are you saying that they don't need a local "XML" format file (style sheet?) if the URI has the location?  That would be interesting.

That was the original intent, but with latency, and other items, it never really took off in the generalized way.  A lot of sites preferred to make it a convenient place to GET the XSD that matches the namespace, but didn't go so far as making it interactively validate.

You DO still see it in lots of "helper" protocols, just as WSDL  (WSDL is just highlighting elements in a central schema, highlighting which elements are "request" elements and which are "response"), UDDI and other "discovery" technologies.  Clearly W3 put a lot into these since all of their standards work from valid namespace URI's, but elsewhere it's a bit patchy.

We do a combination of source URI and local: use the source for the handful of official ones that are always rock solid, but then use the "local import" for others (there's syntax that allows you to point the official URI to a local location you control).  We have a central repository that all servers and services use, with a "local URL" underlying the "official namespace".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Lowell - Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:37 AM

Anyone here who is a Chapter Leader or Volunteer for your local SQL User Group, I'm just taking over the South Florida SQL server User Group, and if you have any pointers  or tips , materials etc, I could use them! The previous leader, Diana Betancourt, took a new job with Microsoft, So I'm pitching in.
    We've got our local SQLSaturday #627 coming up,  so a bit of work and planning is coming up for our group!

Congrats on being a chapter leader!  I have been one for just over a year now and the biggest thing for me was to not be discouraged with low user turnouts.
    I have 14 members in my chapter and we get an average of 4 turning out.  It is a different 4 each month, but it isn't exactly a "high" turnout.
    I imagine this will be different for you as you are taking over an already existing chapter whereas I was starting from scratch.

My biggest suggestion is to have a backup plan for the meeting.  If you have a live presenter scheduled, also have a pre-recorded session ready to roll.  That way if the live presenter can't make it for some reason, you can still have your meetings.
    I find that the previous PASS recordings are a nice thing to have ready for throwing into a meeting.  Hopefully your meeting area has a projector or you do.

And the best piece of advice I got - we were all new at this once.  Just do your best.
    Also, getting in contact with your regional mentor and keeping in contact with them is a good idea.  I know my regional mentor helped me a lot.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Louis Hillebrand - Saturday, March 18, 2017 4:11 AM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, March 17, 2017 12:39 PM

I know it may be late in some locales, but is there anyone on that could help with some XML work?  I am try to move from OPENXML to using nodes on a project I am working on, even though I have a valid OPENXML solution.

I do use XML-nodes almost daily, although I am not an expert.
    just post me some issues, I'll try to answer them.

Louis

I just picked the first response out of several.  I am in a position currently where I can't provide a sample as the data I am working with is classified confidential and I can't post it here.  Trying to create sample data that is representative would simply take time away from doing work that moves the project along using the OPENXML to shred the XML documents so I can insert the data into the appropriate tables in the database.

The problem that I was running into with using nodes was getting it work with the XML data using namespaces, and the information in BOL really didn't help.  If I pulled out the namespace information in the XML file, I was able to use nodes to shred the xml.

I am posting the opening of the top level XML here to show what I am working with regarding namespaces.  Understand I don't have control over this definition, I just have to work with it.
    What I start with:

<ExploitationUXOReports xsi:schemaLocation="urn:cidneNS http://localhost/ws/xsds/2.1.8/CIDNE-Exploitation-UXO-2.1.8_WS_ENUM.xsd" xmlns="urn:cidneNS" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

What it looks like to work with nodes:

<ExploitationUXOReports>

I have started a new thread for this here: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1865609/Working-with-XML-OPENXML-vs-nodes.

• Well, still looking for a job.  However, got an email asking if I would do some hourly training.  This is from a co-worker that got laid off at the same time (he is a .NET developer).  He works at a place with no DBA and so it falls on him to fix the server.  He knows what he needs but not how to do everything.  
    So my question is where is a good place to learn how to bill and pay taxes (both income and social security)?  What paper work would I need to get signed?
    Also what do you suggest for an hourly billing rate?  Or at least how to calculate a number? Note I am no expert so will not be charging top dollar.

Thanks in advance.
    djj

• djj - Monday, March 20, 2017 9:51 AM

Well, still looking for a job.  However, got an email asking if I would do some hourly training.  This is from a co-worker that got laid off at the same time (he is a .NET developer).  He works at a place with no DBA and so it falls on him to fix the server.  He knows what he needs but not how to do everything.  
    So my question is where is a good place to learn how to bill and pay taxes (both income and social security)?  What paper work would I need to get signed?
    Also what do you suggest for an hourly billing rate?  Or at least how to calculate a number? Note I am no expert so will not be charging top dollar.

Thanks in advance.
    djj

Been a while since I even looked at some of this, but here is swag.
    Start with what you honestly believe your time is worth.  Add to that what you would need to pay federal, state, local income taxes, social security and Medicaid (remembering you have to pay both the employer and employee portions), something for retirement (some would say 10 to 15%).  There may be more but it has been years since I left college where this was actually discussed so I am working of some old information.

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, March 20, 2017 10:15 AM

djj - Monday, March 20, 2017 9:51 AM

Well, still looking for a job.  However, got an email asking if I would do some hourly training.  This is from a co-worker that got laid off at the same time (he is a .NET developer).  He works at a place with no DBA and so it falls on him to fix the server.  He knows what he needs but not how to do everything.  

Thanks in advance.
    djj

Start with what you honestly believe your time is worth.  Add to that what you would need to pay federal, state, local income taxes, social security and Medicaid (remembering you have to pay both the employer and employee portions), something for retirement (some would say 10 to 15%).  There may be more but it has been years since I left college where this was actually discussed so I am working of some old information.

And consider if you need to include SEP (self-employed health insurance) costs in here.

• Brandie Tarvin - Monday, March 20, 2017 10:24 AM

Lynn Pettis - Monday, March 20, 2017 10:15 AM

Thanks in advance.
    djj

And consider if you need to include SEP (self-employed health insurance) costs in here.

Brandie, That brings up another problem as I am currently on COBRA, so I will need to see if working without coverage will cause me to loss COBRA.
    Lynn, forgot about Medicaid, but knew I needed to pay both sides.  The retirement side is also a good reminder.

So I guess what I concider fair then double it for miscellaneous extras.

• djj - Monday, March 20, 2017 9:51 AM

Thanks in advance.
    djj

Here's a few tips I have for you.
    companies used to withhold your taxes for you on your W2. now you will get paid as a consultant via a 1099, and you have to pay your taxes yourself. I estimate 25% taxes on every check i receive, and at the end of the year, with deductions and stuff, it's right on the money.

you will want to create an account at the IRS's web site to pay your taxes online for every 1099-type payment you are going to get.
    https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/
    It takes a week or two to completely set up, and get info back in the mail from the IRS with your PIN and stuff.
    it's free, you hook it to a bank account.
    You are obligated to make an estimated payment every three months...even if it is very infrequent payments you are getting.
    every three months, you file, even if the estimate iz zero. otherwise, annoyingly expensive penalties just for not doing a few mouse clicks. create a recurring calendar to remind you.  
    So for every, say $1,000 dollars you receive, you send the IRS @250 dollars of it.

depending on your state, you might want to create a single-member limited liability company. In Florida, it's around $99 dollars, but you have some nice tax advantages like writing off mileage, or having equipment come out of the gross you make instead of the net.
    example: you earn $1000. you have to buy a $800 laptop in order to consult.
    As a w2 employee, you pay 25% in taxes on that $1000. you buy an $800 dollar laptop,a nd you have to find $50 dollars form somewhere else.(1000 - 250 - 800_
    As a corporation, the expense comes out of the earnings first,, so you pay 25% taxes on $200 dollars(1000 - 8000) = 200 net, taxes are 25% = $50 . that means you are able to pay yourself the remaining $150 dollars.

Yuor health insurance benefits now come out of the corporation, even if you are paying COBRA from someone else, or via a new indipendant plan, so that comes out of the gross as well.
    End of year taxes are a bit more complicated, you have to file taxes for your corporation,and every penny the company has left goes to you as income. you cannot "carry over" any funds.

you also need to set up a SEP IRA (self employed). as a 1099 , now 25% of your income can be sent to future retirement! that's HUGE. and it comes off the books, so you don't pay taxes on it. none of that 3% and maybe a match, up to 13K like a W2. you cna save more.

remember that now you are a consultant, you are paying an extra 7.5% for taxes. so if you were making for example 100K a year, if you billed someone at that exact same rate as your old hourly rate, (~$48.0 per hour, ie SELECT 100000 / (40.0 * 52) --(yearly rate/ (hours * weeks),you actually make $44 per hour, because  $3.60 dollars per hour goes to new taxes you did not pay before. ball park at double your old rate, and offer 25-33% discounts off of that improved rate. Saying my rate is $100, but for you guys, i'll discount you to $75 sounds good. you will end up giving people some free time anyway, most likely during requirements gathering anyway, so it starts approaching 

You have to charge more for your rate, because you are not including your own costs for health insurance, equipment and other stuff.
    Other things I have done I would suggest a minimum flat rate for a visit, say $150,plus a nominal rate per hour after x hours($50-75 an . That helps open the opportunity to be flexible in order to guarantee future business
    The other  thing to do is to charge either a minimum per incident, and not per hour. drive an  hour to some place, work an hour or two to fix it, and drive back. invested four hours, paid for one. yuck.

Hope this helps.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• djj - Monday, March 20, 2017 10:35 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Monday, March 20, 2017 10:24 AM

Lynn Pettis - Monday, March 20, 2017 10:15 AM

Thanks in advance.
    djj

Brandie, That brings up another problem as I am currently on COBRA, so I will need to see if working without coverage will cause me to loss COBRA.
    Lynn, forgot about Medicaid, but knew I needed to pay both sides.  The retirement side is also a good reminder.

So I guess what I concider fair then double it for miscellaneous extras.

Cobra is a federally mandated post-employment insurance program. It's based off of a time frame, not off of whether or not you've found another job. As long as you pay in, you get 18 months of coverage from date of job separation (I believe). Double-check, though.

http://www.cobrainsurance.com/know_your_cobra.htm
    and
    https://www.dol.gov/sites/default/files/ebsa/laws-and-regulations/laws/cobra/COBRAemployee.pdf

• Thanks, Lowell.  That is exactly the information I was looking for, plus more.
    Brandie, for some reason my COBRA goes for only 13 months.

Thanks again,
    djj

Viewing 15 posts - 57,841 through 57,855 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply