Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/19/2012)

SQLRNNR (6/19/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/19/2012)

Wow, getting the Attunity drivers to work with Oracle is an enormous pain. This shouldn't be something that takes days to get right.

Are you really that surprised? :hehe:

The only surprise is that anyone uses Oracle for anything.

We share the same surprise then.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (6/19/2012)

SQLRNNR (6/19/2012)

Wow, getting the Attunity drivers to work with Oracle is an enormous pain. This shouldn't be something that takes days to get right.

There are industry-standard enterprise apps such as SAP that come only with Oracle.

• Revenant (6/19/2012)

SQLRNNR (6/19/2012)

SQLRNNR (6/19/2012)

There are industry-standard enterprise apps such as SAP that come only with Oracle.

Yep, and SAP is a huge mess too.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Revenant (6/19/2012)

SQLRNNR (6/19/2012)

SQLRNNR (6/19/2012)

And at least one other that would probably like to see SQL Server go away as a backend database, PeopleSoft. I mean really, send Oracle code to site running SQL Server? Had it happen. PeopleSoft developer came to me, asked what was wrong with some code. Looked at it, said that it wasn't T-SQL. They reported it to Oracle, and low and behold, they had sent the wrong code.

Had to be their way of trying to tell us something. 😉

• Evil Kraig F (6/18/2012)

IE: Rubber Duckies.

E-gads, man, the Rubber Dickies have all been absorbed into the Atom Registry Realignment Garbage Hopper, or ARRGH!!!

• WayneS (6/18/2012)

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Threadizens of all shapes and sizes! Come one, come all for the latest news of the day!

Me, your humble dba, from out of the blue, happened to have thrown into his lap the proverbial dream job. (Or did it fall from the sky and bean me? Either way, it's a silver platter.) It seems like it is everything that I always wanted - indeed my dream job. So today, I've submitted my resignation with my company. (Actually, I submitted it last week, and just turned down their counter-offer today, but hey, whose splitting hairs here???)

I'll be starting the new job in a couple of weeks. I'll be a DBA with a small company that some of you'll in the northeast corridor might have heard about... Ntirety. I do believe that this is going to be an awesome experience, and am looking forward to working with these fine guys and gals.

Congratulations!!!!!

-Ki

• Brandie Tarvin (6/19/2012)

WayneS (6/19/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (6/19/2012)

I am putting a team together to develop the next best thing in mobile computing. The device will be called Cheese and the OS will be called Wine (or Whine might be more appropriate).

Who wants in?

IMHO, the next best thing in mobile computing needs to involve cherrys and chocolate.

So, Cheese & Wine will be the platform and OS. Chocolate Covered Cherries will be the app that can only run on Cheese & Wine, right?

Works for me.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

I never had much troubles with it.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

I'm sorry to hear that Stefan.

Attunity developed a custom adapter for us to connect to our legacy accounting system on Open VMS. It works like a charm with *ahem* SQL Server 😉

• Koen Verbeeck (6/19/2012)

I never had much troubles with it.

Congratulations!

It is mostly getting the Oracle client(s) to install properly, this is the third server I've done or attempted to do the install on and it never goes the same twice.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• SteveBell (6/20/2012)

I'm sorry to hear that Stefan.

Attunity developed a custom adapter for us to connect to our legacy accounting system on Open VMS. It works like a charm with *ahem* SQL Server 😉

Once it is working, it works great. Getting it to that point, however...

Oracle's documentation is less than stellar, for one thing, so when I try to look up things about the Oracle Home directory I feel like I'm a fictional detective trying to track down my arch nemesis.

And it'd be nice if the documentation for Attunity blatantly stated "Only works with SQL Server Enterprise Edition 2005 & 2008" instead of implying it indirectly in the intro.

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/20/2012)

Oracle's documentation is less than stellar, for one thing, so when I try to look up things about the Oracle Home directory I feel like I'm a fictional detective trying to track down my arch nemesis.

Sigh.

My brain is itching. It wants to write this story. As if I didn't have enough projects to work on as it is...

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (6/20/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/20/2012)

Sigh.

My brain is itching. It wants to write this story. As if I didn't have enough projects to work on as it is...

I can't decide if it feels more Holmes or Marlowe. I'm leaning toward Marlowe.

• Brandie Tarvin (6/20/2012)

Sigh.

Write Brandy! Write like the wind!

• SteveBell (6/20/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (6/20/2012)

Sigh.

Write Brandy! Write like the wind!

Ummm. Okay.

"Like the wind."

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 36,571 through 36,585 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply