Application Log Backup errors (MSSQL, SQLVDI, VSS)

• Hi,

Im receiving a slew of errors in the application log of my server every night when backup runs. These errors occur regardless of the type of backup (diff or full) and center around SQL Server and VSS. The databases are eventually backed up, but 20+ minutes of application errors are stressing me out. If anyone has any tips on how to begin troubleshooting these issues (not much info googling the errors) I would be greatly appreciative.

Im neither a system admin, nor a DBA by training but have been thrown into the fire administering this server. Additionally someone else configured the backups...[insert preemptive noob apologies here]

System:

MS SBS 2003 SP1

MS SQL Server 2000 8.00.239

YosemiteBackup 8.10 sp3a

The application errors start just after the backup with:

MS Application error:

Source: MSSQLServer

Category (2)

Event ID 17055

17120 :

SQL Server could not spawn process_loginread thread.

SQL Server Error:

2008-05-22 20:00:19.58 server SQL Server could not spawn process_loginread thread.

Then:

MS Application error:

Source: MSSQLSERVER

Category: (6)

Event ID 17055

User NT Authority\System

3041 :

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [database] TO VIRTUAL_DEVICE='{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-9EBAD5406A36}95' WITH SNAPSHOT,BUFFERCOUNT=1,BLOCKSIZE=1024

SQL Server Error:

2008-05-22 20:00:19.66 backup BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [database] TO VIRTUAL_DEVICE='{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-9EBAD5406A36}95' WITH SNAPSHOT,BUFFERCOUNT=1,BLOCKSIZE=1024

The above error continues through a chunk of the databases on the system then this error jumps into the mix:

MS Application error:

Source:SQLVDI

Category:None

Event ID 1

User N/A

Description:

SQLVDI: Loc=SVDS::Close. Desc=Open devices!. ErrorCode=(0). Process=2712. Thread=13892. Server. Instance=MSSQLSERVER. VD=Global\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-9EBAD5406A36}107.

SQL Server Error (I think):

2008-05-22 20:00:28.68 spid158 BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device '{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-9EBAD5406A36}10'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).

The above error continues through a chunk of databases then this error crops up:

MS Application Error:

Source VSS

Category None

Event ID 6013

Description:

Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling ICommandText::Execute. hr = 0x80040e14. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 3013

Error state: 1, Severity: 16

Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Error message: BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 3224

Error state: 3, Severity: 16

Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Error message: Cannot create worker thread.

SQL Server Error: Not sure here. the only other error type im seeing is:

2008-05-22 20:00:28.71 spid168 Internal I/O request 0x485B1C78: Op: Write, pBuffer: 0x09140400, Size: 1024, Position: 0, UMS: Internal: 0x0, InternalHigh: 0x0, Offset: 0x0, OffsetHigh: 0x0, m_buf: 0x00000000, m_len: 0, m_actualBytes: 0, m_errcode: 995, BackupFile: {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-9EBAD5406A36}39

These errors show up for all db's on the server and then I get these two errors and then an information in the same sequence for each db:

MS Application Error:

Source SQLVDI

Category None

Event ID 1

User N/A

Description:

SQLVDI: Loc=CVDS::Close. Desc=Abnormal termination state. ErrorCode=(0). Process=3992. Thread=11852. Client. Instance=. VD=Global\device1832204A.

Source SQLVDI

Category None

Event ID 1

User N/A

SQLVDI: Loc=SignalAbort. Desc=Client initiates abort. ErrorCode=(0). Process=3992. Thread=11852. Client. Instance=. VD=Global\device1832204A.

MS Application Information:

Source MSSQLSERVER

Category (6)

Event ID 17055

User NT Authority\System

Description:

18264 :

Database backed up: Database: [db name], creation date(time): 2007/10/10(18:20:22), pages dumped: 3940, first LSN: 272:402:1, last LSN: 272:404:1, number of dump devices: 1, device information: (FILE=1, TYPE=VIRTUAL_DEVICE: {'device18324B51'})

Thanks in advance for reading this *really* long thread and for any insight provided.

Matt

• What is Yosemite Backup? Is this something provided by your SAN vendor to perform some type of Snap/Snapshot backups on the SAN?

Anyways, all of these errors are being generated because the backup software is trying to use the SQLVDI utility (Virtual Device Interface) and is not working correctly.

Review the backup setup - make sure it is configured to work with SQL Server 2000 and not 2005 (not sure, but I don't think 2000 has the capability of doing a SNAPSHOT backup natively - e.g. BACKUP DATABASE db ... WITH SNAPSHOT).

Follow up with the backup software vendor - looks like that is where the problems are.

Jeff

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi Jeff,

YB is an application that runs over (I think) NT Backup. Im also checking with yosemite

Thanks for the info~ its interesting/frustrating because the dbs do get backed up, it just takes 20min of errors to get there. I read somewhere about dropping the snapshot before backing up. Does SQL Server 'lock' on to snapshots? Im assuming that they are used in the backup functionality provided with SQL Server...

~Matt

• I just reviewed and SQL Server 2000 does support BACKUP WITH SNAPSHOT.

You can review the document: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa173495.aspx

This definitely looks like an issue with the backup software.

Jeff

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply