Anyone ever gone to Hands on It training?

• Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with Hands On IT Training, good or bad.  I want to take this course http://www.traininghott.com/Courses/Microsoft-SQL-Server-2005-Administration-Training-Course.htm

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Bart

• Hi Bart

If you are a beginner, then Hands on is probably the best way to get started. The down side is that you can't cover much detail in a hands on course - there just isn't enough time. I usually also find that you are driven to get through a bunch of labs as fast as possible and end up following instructions to click here and there and don't always have the time to let a concept sink in. On the up side, you usually get to take the labs home. Re-read the theory and then try them again and they will make a lot more sense.

My preferred way of learning new stuff is to get hold of trial versions of the software, load it in a virtual machine (using VMware or MS Virtual Server) and work through a good practical book. This way I can set my own time lines and make sure I understand each concept clearly before moving on. I also type up notes (usually about 1 page for every 10 to 20 in the book) and keep the notes on my desk for quick reference. Books also aften come with useful code samples and real life practical scenarios

For $2000 you could buy 40 books at $50 each; or even a PC and a couple of books; you get the idea 

Of course it takes much longer to work through the books but in the long term you should have a far more detailed and complete understanding of the subject.

Also take a look at https://www.microsoftelearning.com/default.aspx there are a couple of eLearning courses covering various aspects of SQL 2005 - not very detailed but a great introduction. I think some are free until the end of September and about $99 each after that (I haven't checked lately, so take a look at the site)

Hope this helps - happy learning

• Thanks for the info Bad Dog.  I have only been working with SQl for about 5 months now so its all pretty new to me.  I have been going through some books, and definitely will look at the Microsoft stuff.

• I think that the HOTT course will be good for a beginner. I took the SQL Server 2000 developer and admin courses and really enjoyed them last year. I had not worked on SQL Server very much and my boss wanted me to be trained at least at a rudimentary level before I started messing with our servers at work. After completing the class, I felt I had a very good grasp of the basics.

• Jim, thanks for your response.  My boss is going to send me as well.  I eventually want to get my cert as a DBA.  I have been reading Beginning SQL Server 2000 DBA by Tony Blain to prepare myself for the class.

• If your compay is paying, then the course is the quickest and most effective way to get going. I was thinking more from the point of view that you might be paying for it.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply