Any Supported and documented way to edit the Registry values?

• Hi,

I am looking for a recommended and Microsoft supported way if I need to edit anything in Registry (Clustered and Non Clustered Servers).

Like If I need to update default Backup Directory and Default FullTextDefaultPath?

Thanks in advance.

Noman.

• editing the registry ad hoc is never supported. Some support or Knowledge base articles will provide details for modifying the registry and will always advise a backup first.The keys to be created\modified are always distinctly identified

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Start -> Run -> regedit.exe

That's how you edit the registry. Keep in mind that if you do it wrong, you may have to rebuild the server by re-installing the O/S.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Since this is a SQL Server fourm, I assume you're implying "via SQL Server". In that case, you could possibly create one or more CLR procedures to do what you want, and use the native .NET registry manipulation classes for that. The CLR restricts what .NET namespaces and assemblies you can use (some for good reasons and some for somewhat arbitrary ho-hum reasons), but there are relatively easy ways around that which are documented in various places online. Basically you either hand-edit the .NET project file and change the project type to a database CLR project, or you edit the project file and add the assembly references to the XML by hand. Not for the beginner unless you're a beginner and tired of being one.

• Hi

Don't forget the handy xp_regwrite

I do not think it's always the best to due it this way.

Cheers

Jannie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply