Any known issues with in-place upgrade of a 2 node 2012 AG to 2016?

• I have a 2 node, SQL 2012 AG running in asynchronous mode.  I will be upgrading it to SQL 2016 using the rolling method, upgrading the secondary node first, then failing the primary over to it, and then upgrading the new secondary.  Are there any known issues or "gotchas" that I need to look out for?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe ! ! !

• Mick Opalak - Friday, July 28, 2017 12:45 PM

I have a 2 node, SQL 2012 AG running in asynchronous mode.  I will be upgrading it to SQL 2016 using the rolling method, upgrading the secondary node first, then failing the primary over to it, and then upgrading the new secondary.  Are there any known issues or "gotchas" that I need to look out for?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe ! ! !

set the replicas to synchronous first and ensure all databases are synchronised before starting the upgrade

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle - Tuesday, August 1, 2017 3:19 AM

Mick Opalak - Friday, July 28, 2017 12:45 PM

I have a 2 node, SQL 2012 AG running in asynchronous mode.  I will be upgrading it to SQL 2016 using the rolling method, upgrading the secondary node first, then failing the primary over to it, and then upgrading the new secondary.  Are there any known issues or "gotchas" that I need to look out for?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe ! ! !

set the replicas to synchronous first and ensure all databases are synchronised before starting the upgrade

You need to make sure you upgrade the secondary replica first and followed by the primary replica. During the failover process you need to set the secondary replica to synchronous to avoid any data loss.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply