"answered" thread notification

• I was wondering if it would be possible to have answered threads in a different color?
    I know that posts that are marked as an answer are a different color, but I have seen some threads that after they are answered, someone still puts stuff onto the end with more suggestions of how to fix it not realizing it has already been answered.
    SOMETIMES those extra posts are other ways to fix a similar problem, sometimes they are rephrasing the accepted answer.  Having the entire thread be a different color than the default would be a nice indicator that the thread has been answered.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Hmmm, if we changed the color of the thread, how do we determine answers? I know we could pick a new color, but contrast and colors don't always make sense. Part of what we want to do is keep this easy to use for beginners.

I'll think about it.  We try not to modify the original software, and instead submit PRs to the vendor so that they can incorporate some changes. Otherwise upgrades for security patches become a problem.

• What about for answered threads, the thread title would have the text "ANSWERED" after it.  So for this thread (presuming it was answered), it would say: "answered" thread notification <RSS feed logo> - ANSWERED
    Posts that are the answer are highlighted in a different color so it is easy to spot them.  I think having some method of marking a thread as being answered would be beneficial.

I know when I look at the "Active Threads" section, if I knew that a specific thread was already answered, I would know not to go into it and add things for them to try.  I would also know when I search to see if see somebody has a very similar problem as me, then I would know if they got an answer or not.

Mind you, the above suggestion is only useful if people actually mark posts as an answer.

I do understand about updating the software and security patches.  We just had a big project around that where we had highly customized software and needed to do a service pack upgrade.  That was painful but now we are back to a more "vanilla" version of the software.  We had a similar problem with another piece of software that the vendor did the customizations for us and that was a nightmare.  We asked the vendor to update their code to work with JAVA 7 (when 6 got depricated) and they couldn't do it AND keep our customizations.  We ended up dropping that software for some in-house software that we wrote and are happy with it.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Adding answered isn't a bad idea.

My short list for the vendor right now is getting the forum name listed in searches, because the title isn't enough.

I'll submit this as it does make some sense.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply