ANSI PADDING off when generating a replication snapshot

• I am attempting to create a snapshot replication publication.

When the snapshot is generated, any table that consists of all numeric columns creates a script with SET ANSI PADDING OFF

I googled around a bit and found that if a DDL trigger is in place on the database, it will cause this to happen.

I dropped the triggers, re-created the publication and subscription, same thing.

I need to either find a solution or a work around to this issue.

Any ideas???

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John (7/9/2015)

I am attempting to create a snapshot replication publication.

When the snapshot is generated, any table that consists of all numeric columns creates a script with SET ANSI PADDING OFF

I googled around a bit and found that if a DDL trigger is in place on the database, it will cause this to happen.

I dropped the triggers, re-created the publication and subscription, same thing.

I need to either find a solution or a work around to this issue.

Any ideas???

While I know nothing about this, I was just curious if your tables themselves had that ansi padding set? I know I've seen some table definitions that apparently had columns added with different ansi padding settings, and I'm guessing that it was altered from a session that simply had a different setting in that connection.

Maybe script a "create table" from ssms and see if any columns in that table do that?

edit: also, you should make the url in your signature clickable like it is in my reply. It keeps superficial people like me from judging you LOLOL ok I wasn't really serious but you should make it clickable so more people will actually read the article.

• While I know nothing about this, I was just curious if your tables themselves had that ansi padding set? I know I've seen some table definitions that apparently had columns added with different ansi padding settings, and I'm guessing that it was altered from a session that simply had a different setting in that connection.

Been down that road. I actually dropped and re-created tables and explicitly set ansi padding on.

Same result.

edit: also, you should make the url in your signature clickable like it is in my reply. It keeps superficial people like me from judging you LOLOL ok I wasn't really serious but you should make it clickable so more people will actually read the article.

I'm technically challenged at times!

Michael L John

• Michael L John (7/9/2015)

While I know nothing about this, I was just curious if your tables themselves had that ansi padding set? I know I've seen some table definitions that apparently had columns added with different ansi padding settings, and I'm guessing that it was altered from a session that simply had a different setting in that connection.

Been down that road. I actually dropped and re-created tables and explicitly set ansi padding on.

Same result.

I'm technically challenged at times!

Nah you got the link working, its just a "tick" of mine to point things out like this, but I'll work on it!

Looks like your situation is known and marked as "won't fix" (if I'm correct in identifying this)

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/334194/ansi-padding-options-in-replication-snapshot

• I've been down that road also!

If you keep going on this thread, as well as others, the "answer" is to drop the trigger, drop the publication and subscription, and re-do everything leaving the trigger off.

That did not work. I went through 20 different sets of steps.

The second work around was to set the publication to not build the schema. That's what I did.

The problem is that this is a dev database, so changes occur regularly. The replication was to transfer the data to a testing reporting database. The dev's needs the same data in both places to test any new reports.

Backup and restore will not work. The reporting database is only a subset of the applicaiton database. Plus, the indexes, procedures, etc. are completely different.

Michael L John

• Michael L John (7/10/2015)

I've been down that road also!

If you keep going on this thread, as well as others, the "answer" is to drop the trigger, drop the publication and subscription, and re-do everything leaving the trigger off.

That did not work. I went through 20 different sets of steps.

The second work around was to set the publication to not build the schema. That's what I did.

The problem is that this is a dev database, so changes occur regularly. The replication was to transfer the data to a testing reporting database. The dev's needs the same data in both places to test any new reports.

Backup and restore will not work. The reporting database is only a subset of the applicaiton database. Plus, the indexes, procedures, etc. are completely different.

Gotcha! sorry to be of no help here!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply