Anonymous Users access to reports?

• Hi all

I am pulling my hair out here with reporting services. 

I have a large web-based app, with a mix of external and internal users.  Some of these external users require NO authentication, so they hit xyz pages and do what they do with the content shown.

I have a range of public reports.  I want to port these to Reporting Services (currently in crystal reports).  The security paradigm for RS is that of NT users and domains only, and the reportserver website has integrated security enabled.  How can I expose anynymous reports to my webusers??  I have tried a range of settings in terms of virtual dir security privs, and have had no luck with any NT group to facilitate the rendering.  I get the RS error telling me I have no authority.

Thoughts??

Seems like a major limitation if all users require some form of AD authentication to run a report.

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Hmmm, I had a bad day , sorry for my post.  Good day.

• Hi there

Well, you are very wrong actually!  and im not sure what your on about to tell you the truth re my inability to manage the webserver?  sorry, you came accross somewhat rude.

Reading up on RS doco (embedded in it), they state that they only support Basic and Integrated security on the reportserver virtual dir, there are flow on issues here as well, where a mix of BA/Integrated between report manager and reportserver can really screw with reportmanager itself, giving you 401 errors when you dont expect it. 

Now, all that said, they do describe the use of forms authentication and using a simple piece of impersonation logic over a set AD account.  All good, but does change our app in terms of the end users experience, which is never nice.  We are exploring this option, but in the mean time, using standard basic (which we do anyhow) for the rest of our report conversion is the path we are taking.

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply