Analysis Services training materials

• Does anyone have a recommendation on online, books, software or other training materials for Analysis Services?

"I met Larry Niven at ConClave 27...AND I fixed his computer. How cool is that?"
    (Memoirs of a geek)

• I'm currently reading/referencing "Professional SQL Server, Analysis Services 2005 with MDX" (catchy title, eh?).  I've found it to be pretty thorough and can recommend it.

Authors:  Sivakumar Harinath and Stephen R. Quinn

• Hi

This is not bad to get you started. There is a whole series;

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1429671

• Hi:

If you need info on MDX for analysis services, I highly recommend MDX Solutions: With Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 and Hyperion Essbase (by George Spofford et al.)

Spofford also has a previous book that came out in 2001 that is often referred to as the "bible" of MDX. Not truly about Analysis Services, but much more about MDX. You'll find, however, that if you are involved in building OLAP cubes, you may need to create a few custom calculated fields that will need to be written in MDX.

--pete

• You can also try Applied Microsoft Analysis Service 2005 (And Microsoft Business Intelligence Platform) by Teo Lachev. Its quite good and takes you through building solutions on the AdventrueWorks sample database. (I installed SQL on a virtual server and worked through the book hands on - no better way to learn in my opinion)

I personally found the 2001 Spofford book on MDX unreadable - probably makes sense to someone who already knows mdx but no good for a beginner. To learn the basics of MDX I would highly recommend "Fast Track to MDX" Mark Whitehorn, Robert Zare, Mosha Pasumansky. - very clear and understandable.

I have briefly looked at the new Spofford MDX book (MDX Solutions 2nd Edition) - looks a lot better than the first one - either its written much better or it makes more sense to me now that I've read the Pasumansky book (Fast Track to MDX)

Happy learning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply