Analysis Services Tabular Azure Rename Database

• Hi,

I have Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 (Version 15.9.0) installed, when I click on a New Project it asks for the following info to be filled in:

Name:
    Solution name:
    Framework:

So lets say I have "MyFirstTabular" for the Name, when I click on Save, it pops up with a new window called "Tabular model designer" and asks me if I want to select:

Integrated workspace
    or
    Workspace server

I select "Workspace" server and enter in Analysis Azure url details and select "SQL Server 2017 / Azure Analysis Services (1400)" for the Compatibility level and click OK.

The Model gets created and I can see the Database called "MyFirstTabular" but when I see this and go to Azure Portal and go to Analysis Services section, I can see in the section "Models on Analysis Services Server" that the Dtabse is there but no the Name i called it, it comes out with anexample like 

MyFirstTabular_NetworkId_b4a61b17-a58f-4eed-acb4-07b7d872022c

NetworkId would be my network Id I login with my computer with and I'm not sure where this GUID info has come from? Is this normal or can someone explain why this extra information has come from? As I was expecting this to just show as "MyFirstTabular", the only place I can rename this is via SQL Management Studio and connecting to Analysis services and then rename the Database but when I have done that it cannot find this Database when I go back to Visual Studio if I wanted to Process the Model.
    Any Ideas?

• That is normal - when on visual studio all models created on a server have that name format.

should you deploy the model to the server then it will have only the name you gave the model

• Thanks for the reply, so when I deploy to the server and then go back to the Analysis Services section on Azure, I can now see under "Models on Analysis Services Server" the Model "MyFirstTabular" but it still has the other one there MyFirstTabular_NetworkId_b4a61b17-a58f-4eed-acb4-07b7d872022c its not a problem but I can see this being messy in the future when there are more models and that there is always two Models one with correct name and one with the Name but extra info, can I delete the one with the extra information now that I hve deployed to the server or will I then be unable to open this on Visual Studio because it cannot see this again?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply