an integrated reporting/business solution within Word utilizing TAQL and other technologies

• I need to create an interactive word document and have attached a wireframe/sketch image to clarify goal. At the top are two fields where a team lead can enter (1) the name of a project they’re working on eg. MobileAppABC and (2) the name of the current build 10.20.3333.5342. Once entered, a report and graph is generated which displays the number of bugs executed, passed, failed, etc. for that project/build. In summary, parameters are passed from Word to a TSQL query which generates a report and chart in Excel format that is passed back and rendered from within the Word document.

I would like to know:

(a) If anyone on this forum has ever created a Word Add-In OR a document specific Office Business Application that compiles a script that calls a stored procedure that executes a query that returns a report and passes it back to Word, formatted as an excel pivot table and chart.

(b) What scripting language was used.

(c) If you think this is possible.

(d) Any suggestions you have at all (spot-on specific links, tack-on relevant book titles).

--Quote me

• Don't see any attachment.

• Hi Lynn! Now it's there.

--Quote me

• Any reason this has to be a Word doc? Why can't you use Reporting Services? This looks like something it could do easily.

• this needs to be in an application that an end user interacts with regularly and that can easily be shared with others using email. WAnt to make a seamless experience for consumer.

Eg. a template the team lead opens, modifies, and sends via email

ps. I already have the reports ready. This is not about the reporting but about access and dissemination, integrated-ness and ease of consumption. I have been reading about and this is something that falls under the umbrella term of OBA (Office Business Applications) tho I need more specific direction because I can't read *everything* there is to know about this and deliver a solution in 1 week flat.

I would like (si vous plais) specific pointers that will save me time.

--Quote me

• Still looks like a perfect fit for Reporting Services to me, and probably a lot easier to maintain and support. An interactive report that everyone who needs access to it can be granted the appropriate permissions in Report Manager.

• Please elaborate Lynn. Can you give me a step by step?

Someone opens a Word template and enters two parameters....where does Reporting Services come into play?

In earlier post I am referring to this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/erikaehrli/archive/2006/10/26/introductiontooba.aspx

--Quote me

• I need the query generated in response to the parameters and delivered back to the UI (in this case Word) that the end user is using. That end user then just saves and sends via Outlook.

--Quote me

• polkadot (5/10/2012)

Please elaborate Lynn. Can you give me a step by step?

Someone opens a Word template and enters two parameters....where does Reporting Services come into play?

In earlier post I am referring to this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/erikaehrli/archive/2006/10/26/introductiontooba.aspx%5B/quote%5D

Only thing I can tell you is read more about Reporting Services in Books Online. I am not an expert with Reporting Services, but from what I do know, this looks like a good fit, better than trying to maintain Word/Excel/SQL solution.

• I tend to agree with Lynn.

It sounds like you would want 2 drop downs in a report from which they can choose values.

And on selcting the first on, the second one would be filtered.

And then the report is generated, which is a click away from exporting to Excel.

If you insist on not using something like this, I would eliminate Word and just use Excel.

But then what triggers it to run? Maybe a form on Auto_Open to fill in?

I would tend to not trust user input, but populate from the source.

Especially when you might get to versioning.

Sorry - don't have time to go into more details.

Hopefully enough to give you some ideas.

• If you insist on not using something like this, I would eliminate Word and just use Excel.

Thank you Greg.

Indeed, because the page that delivers the report must have regions in it where end user can free style type I also think Excel with an Add-In is a worthy consideration that is more in line with the business request. Excel allows for Save&Send ie. is well integrated with Outlook and allows for seamless experience.

I believe the Auto-Open is a VB script term? So, the scripting would be done in VB?

I welcome other visitors comments ofcourse. Lynn I would like to believe that SSRS is the solution because it would eliminate a headache of work, but I believe it would force users to adapt to the technology I was most comfortable with rather than the available technology to them.

--Quote me

• polkadot (5/10/2012)

If you insist on not using something like this, I would eliminate Word and just use Excel.

Thank you Greg.

Indeed, because the page that delivers the report must have regions in it where end user can free style type I also think Excel with an Add-In is a worthy consideration that is more in line with the business request. Excel allows for Save&Send ie. is well integrated with Outlook and allows for seamless experience.

I believe the Auto-Open is a VB script term? So, the scripting would be done in VB?

I welcome other visitors comments ofcourse. Lynn I would like to believe that SSRS is the solution would force users to adapt rather than me to them.

Depends. This last post is the first time you also mentioned having regions where users could free style type. Wasn't mentioned in your original post, nor in your mock-up.

• True. I didn't mention it.

OK. so that is the crux of why I don't believe SSRS is the solution.

I believe the solution is either Add-In (application specific) or Office Business Application (document specific). I use these terms, having only just learned about them myself. I am still seeking to map out a To-Do list so that I can begin my work. But, I need to scope out the extent of the work before me by identifying what-is possible and then the tools that will get me there. Then I can begin.

HAving never done this before I appreciate the help.

--Quote me

• I have edited the attachment and reuploaded.

Thank you for helping me through this. I was never clear on the free text area, tho in my mind I had taken it for granted. You aren't reading my mind???? πŸ˜‰

--Quote me

• polkadot (5/10/2012)

I have edited the attachment and reuploaded.

Thank you for helping me through this. I was never clear on the free text area, tho in my mind I had taken it for granted. You aren't reading my mind???? πŸ˜‰

Nope. Had a supervisor like that, I was never right. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply