an i use same instance on single server for Primary & Secondary database for Log shipping

• Hi,

I would like to know....Can i use same instance on single server for Primary & Secondary database for Log shipping.

I have only one server and one instance.

Regards,

Sachin.

• kumar.sachu08 (2/21/2012)

Hi,

I would like to know....Can i use same instance on single server for Primary & Secondary database for Log shipping.

I have only one server and one instance.

Regards,

Sachin.

No you cannot, you could install a second instance and use that but there's not much point unless you're doing this for educational purposes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi,

i.e, Without two instance...Log shipping are not possible. I am right ?

Regards,

Sachin.

• you create logshipping in same server but secondry database has to be different name.

• What would be the point? Log shipping is for high-availability, protection against server failure or hardware failure. If both instances are on the same server, there's no gain.

For testing/practice, sure, for production, not a good idea.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • sengeet86 (2/21/2012)

you create logshipping in same server but secondry database has to be different name.

Here still not clear.....

As per your views ... i can use secondary database with different name in same instance where already my primary database are already exist.

i.e, in log shipping we can use single sever with single instance which use two different database.

Please clarify...if this is possible then in begging i raise same question but someone give me answer in negative.

>> My simple question,

Can we do log shipping without two instance in single server ?

If answer is "no". then your answer will automatically false

"you create log shipping in same server but secondary database has to be different name."

Actually you are not mentioned here about instance....please clarify on which instance secondary database with the different name will be exist.

In same instance where primary database are available or different instance

for secondary database with the different name.

Regards,

Sachin.

• Sure you can setup log-shipping between databases on the same SQL Server instance, but as has been mentioned, the secondary database needs a different name. Also as has been mentioned, other than just practicing setting up log-shipping it really isn't worth anything.

• Jack Corbett (2/21/2012)

Sure you can setup log-shipping between databases on the same SQL Server instance, but as has been mentioned, the secondary database needs a different name. Also as has been mentioned, other than just practicing setting up log-shipping it really isn't worth anything.

That's great clarification......I can implement log shipping with same server with same instance with two different database name.

Thanks for your clarification. it was necessary to understand because this is basic concept. without basic we can't proceed next.

So thanks again....

• >What would be the point

In my case I need to move a set of live databases (1TB) from one physical disk to another, with only an hours downtime!, and bring back up the same machine working exactly as it was before.

Logshipping would be one good solution to keep the downtime low, but as I want to keep the live server installation as it is, the db would have to be restored to the same server instance.

• Slightly different question -can I log ship to two standby databases on the same server (different names) but at different schedules.

Need to create two restore jobs I assume, but is that possible?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply