An error occurred while processing log encryption

• We periodically get this message below in the SQL Server log on SQL 2012 Enterprise edition. The database is encrypted using TDE. The encrypted databases on the server were migrated from SQL 2005 and are still set to 2005 compatibility level, we are going to change it to 2012, but have not yet on production.

The errors appear usually after a log backup has been saved on one particular database.

SQL Log Message:

An error occurred while processing log encryption. The process was recovered automatically. No user action is required.

Sometimes along with this message is a lock request timeout message but not always.

Lock request time out period exceeded.

Error: 1222, Severity: 16, State: 55.

I understand that it says no action is required, but just curious what is causing this error and is there cause for concern?

• lcaradon (5/10/2016)

We periodically get this message below in the SQL Server log on SQL 2012 Enterprise edition. The database is encrypted using TDE. The encrypted databases on the server were migrated from SQL 2005 and are still set to 2005 compatibility level, we are going to change it to 2012, but have not yet on production.

The errors appear usually after a log backup has been saved on one particular database.

SQL Log Message:

An error occurred while processing log encryption. The process was recovered automatically. No user action is required.

Sometimes along with this message is a lock request timeout message but not always.

Lock request time out period exceeded.

Error: 1222, Severity: 16, State: 55.

I understand that it says no action is required, but just curious what is causing this error and is there cause for concern?

Were you able to resolve this?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I am having the exact same issue but for me it is more severe as it is happening at one of the client installations of our application and application execution fails when trying to insert some records randomly with this error.

Were either of you able to resolve this issue by upgrading the database compatibility level to 2012? I want to be sure about it before suggesting this as a solution to the client as I suspect the problem could be related to different encryption algorithms used by SQL 2005 vs SQL 2012.

• Did either of you come up with a resolution for this?  We are having the same problem.  We are running on SQL 2012 Enterprise Edition and our databases are in 2012 compatibility mode and have TDE on.  We have been setup this way since Aug 2014 and are just noticing this problem now because the lock request time out errors are causing some of our PeopleSoft processes to fail.  Note:  We did install SP3 in June 2016 and security update KB3194721 in Nov 2016, no other sql updates.

• We have the exactly the same issue as the original poster, i.e. we are sql server 2016 EE and TDE encrypted, we are also on a 2-node HAG, and this issue only occurred on 2nd node (i.e. not the primary node)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply