Am I behind?

• I still work on SQL Server 2000, barely touch SQL Server 2005 especially SSIS. Am I way behind? SQL Server 2008 is coming out. I am afraid I will never catch up with the technology.

• I'm just moving to 2k5. I don't consider myself behind... but I know I have a lot to learn on 2k5.

Pass certainly helped get back in the game in that aspect.

• I don't think you're too far behind. SS2K8 doesn't seem tremendously different from SS2K5. There's a similar paradigm even though there are new features.

If you start working on either 2005 or 2008, you'll be in good shape for awhile.

• There are definitely many "details" different but if you master the core on 2000 there is nothing that prevent you from quickly use the new features.

* Noel

• This is all good to hear. I'm in the same boat (no production 2005 servers yet) and though I am certified on 2005 (MCITP: Database Administration), I can't spare time to study up on SQL Server 2005 in my spare time because I'm in grad school.

I don't know when we're going to migrate at work...

• Didn't I just read that the majority of all SS installs are using 2000? If so, then you are not behind at all.

We are planning the move to 2005 at the end of this month.

Scott

• I think from my conversations with people, that most people still have lots of SS2K out there. As much as MS would like us to believe that SS2K5 has a high penetration, I'm not sure that's the case.

• Maybe it's in high penetration for the new licenses, or new customers. But that does not account for old machines being reinstalled with 2000. After all this is a great product that will do the job more than well for many clients.

• Ninja

I finished the movie after I fell in sleep twice watching it. Did you follow what the people said in that movie? If I did not know better, I thought it was a religious movie. I still did not get what it said, maybe that is the reason why I am in so much trouble.

• Yup. Watch it a few more times. It'll sink in eventually. If not, then you're not ready for that at the moment and that's alright as well.

The whole movie is right for you, but the section about the gay guy really applies (on a totally different level). Next time you watch it, think of your work life when they talk about him and you'll start to see paterns in your life.

• Software and the hardware that runs it are tools. Tools similar to a mechanic's wrench or carpenters saw. The need replacement and 'upgrading' from time to time. Replacing them typically when they cannot be repaired or cannot perform a task/process any more.

Don't do it until you need to. What wall are you at with your current version that money will fix with a newer one? And before you answer that, consider skipping a version and saving everyone alot of training money as the versions are coming out to close together to make internal or distributed applications economically feasible to make use of the 'NEW' features.

[font="Arial"]Clifton G. Collins III[/font]

• A Believer!!!

I agree with Clifton completely. wait for 2008 if you can.

• Steve, it looks to me like it's about time you realize how much of an influence you have on the community!!

• Let's hope so! No one upgrade to 2005 if you don't need it. Wait for 2008!

• Steve - if it was up to me, I would wait for 2008. I have been overruled!

Scott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply