Always on

• REGISTER SERVERS - ALWAYS ON

Myself configured SERVER1 and SERVER2 connected to DOMAIN CONTROLLER.

Everything is working fine.

While using the REGISTER SERVER  from SSMS  on Server (SERVER2) is configured  / accessing for SERVER1.

Your steps are working till this point.

While doing the SAME STEPS on SERVER1 for accessing SERVER2

then

ERROR

TITLE: Edit Server Registration Properties

------------------------------

Testing the registered server failed. Verify the server name, login credentials, and database, and then click Test again.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

But REGISTER SERVER from SSMS on SERVER1 is NOT CONFIGURING for SERVER2 for which IP Address (1433) is added on TCP/IP under Configuration Manager.

BOTTOMLINE: SERVER2 able to ADD SERVER1 but SERVER1 is NOT ADDING SERVER from SSMS

The Above Error must be common perhaps unable to decipher as myself is learner and Patrons / Experts could you please help me to deduce to solution.

Thanks in advance.

• For Node4, which will be used for reporting purpose only, i am thinking it does not need any snapshots taken at the drive level and also backups of drive is not needed. Do you agree with me?

• David Vasanth Kumar Pidiseti wrote:

REGISTER SERVERS - ALWAYS ON

Myself configured SERVER1 and SERVER2 connected to DOMAIN CONTROLLER.

Everything is working fine.

While using the REGISTER SERVER  from SSMS  on Server (SERVER2) is configured  / accessing for SERVER1.

Your steps are working till this point.

While doing the SAME STEPS on SERVER1 for accessing SERVER2

then

ERROR

TITLE: Edit Server Registration Properties

Testing the registered server failed. Verify the server name, login credentials, and database, and then click Test again.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

But REGISTER SERVER from SSMS on SERVER1 is NOT CONFIGURING for SERVER2 for which IP Address (1433) is added on TCP/IP under Configuration Manager.

BOTTOMLINE: SERVER2 able to ADD SERVER1 but SERVER1 is NOT ADDING SERVER from SSMS

The Above Error must be common perhaps unable to decipher as myself is learner and Patrons / Experts could you please help me to deduce to solution.

Thanks in advance.

Is this a question?  Are you having an issue that you need help with?  If so, please start a new thread in the forum.  You have hijacked an existing thread, and that's not a good way to get help

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• You're right Michael. Seems like someone is trying to put unrelated question. Thanks for suggesting him to to open a new thread.

The question i have is For Node4, which will be used for reporting purpose only, i am thinking it does not need any snapshots taken at the drive level and also backups of drive is not needed. Do you agree with me?

• Admingod wrote:

You're right Michael. Seems like someone is trying to put unrelated question. Thanks for suggesting him to to open a new thread.

The question i have is For Node4, which will be used for reporting purpose only, i am thinking it does not need any snapshots taken at the drive level and also backups of drive is not needed. Do you agree with me?

Maybe.  If the server completely died, can you meet your RPO/RTO bring it back?

Are you going to be performing DBCC checks on the same server where you are doing your backups? Is not, you may want to re-think that.  If you are doing DBCC on server 1, and backups on server 2, you may be backing up corrupted databases.

Michael L John

• Admingod wrote:

You're right Michael. Seems like someone is trying to put unrelated question. Thanks for suggesting him to to open a new thread.

It depends - what else are you going to have on Node4?  Since that will be for reporting - I am assuming at least one other database where the report developers can write code and build tables specific for that reporting.  If so, then you definitely need a process for backing up that data.

As for snapshots - are those SAN snapshots or VM snapshots?  If VM snapshots - I would not recommend performing those on systems where SQL Server has been installed as they can interfere with your native backups.  If you are looking at SAN snapshots - then no - these are not needed on the volumes where your production database files are located on node 4, but would be needed where any other databases are located (e.g. reporting databases).

Note: if you are using SAN snapshots then you MUST NOT place any non-AG databases on those drives/volumes.  You need to configure separate volumes for local databases.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks Jeffrey! Node4 will not have any other user databases other than reporting DB which would be configured with AG. In case if there is any server issue or corrupted data we can still able recover the data from Prod right by re configuring the AG.

I agree with you on Snapshots.

On side node. This is unrelated to the above discussion, I have opened up another thread but wanted to get your opinion on this if you have some time. Thanks in advance!

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/replicate-database

• Admingod wrote:

Thanks Jeffrey! Node4 will not have any other user databases other than reporting DB which would be configured with AG. In case if there is any server issue or corrupted data we can still able recover the data from Prod right by re configuring the AG.

I agree with you on Snapshots.

On side node. This is unrelated to the above discussion, I have opened up another thread but wanted to get your opinion on this if you have some time. Thanks in advance!

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/replicate-database%5B/quote%5D

I would not put the reporting database on production...that will require a login and user configured to access the production node...with the ability to access the production databases directly.  If they are accessing production to 'build' the code then why would they use the reporting secondary at all?

A user database on the read-only secondary...logins on the read-only secondary only for report developers.  Users on the primary will need to be created using the SID from the login on the secondary if using SQL accounts (not recommended).  Using windows accounts the users can be added to the databases on the primary - without a login.  The login on the secondary will synch with the windows SID and they will have access only from the secondary.

At this point - you would be better served hiring a contractor who understands windows clustering, failover clustering and AG setup and configuration.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Have you read this series of articles?  There is probably information in these articles that will provide you with some answers.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairways/stairway-to-alwayson

Michael L John

• If the secondary replica is asynchronous mode. Would you still do backups on secondary replica to offload the performance? Would there be any issues or concerns on backing on secondary replica(with async mode)?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply