Aggregate without self join

• I am fetching the number of clicks and first click from number of devices using event table and click table.

create table event
    (
    eventdate date,
    emailid varchar(200),
    sendid int,
    listid int
    );

insert into event values('2018-12-20','lookforkumar@gmail.com',22,100);
    insert into event values('2018-12-21','lookforkumar@gmail.com',22,100);
    insert into event values('2018-12-22','lookforsaravana@gmail.com',23,100);
    insert into event values('2018-12-23','lookforsaravana@gmail.com',23,100);

create table click
    (
    eventid date,
    emailid varchar(200),
    sendid int,
    listid int,
    url_description varchar(200),
    click_description varchar(200)
    );

insert into click values('2018-12-20','lookforkumar@gmail.com',22,100,'PC','FLIPKART');
    insert into click values('2018-12-21','lookforkumar@gmail.com',22,100,'SMARTPHONE','FLIPKART');
    insert into click values('2018-12-22','lookforsaravana@gmail.com',23,100,'IPHONE','AMAZON');
    insert into click values('2018-12-23','lookforsaravana@gmail.com',23,100,'PC','FLIPKART');

What I tried so far
    Select evnt.eventdate,evnt.emailid,evnt.sendid,evnt.listid,firstclk,numberofclick
    from
    event evnt
     left outer join
    (
    select emailid,sendid,min(eventid) as firstclk,count(eventid) as numberofclick
    from click
    group by emailid,sendid
    ) clk
    on evnt.emailid=clk.emailid
    and evnt.sendid=clk.sendid

Output I am getting

eventdateemailidsendidlistidfirstclknumberofclick
    20-12-18 0:00lookforkumar@gmail.com2210020-12-18 0:002
    21-12-18 0:00lookforkumar@gmail.com2210020-12-18 0:002
    22-12-18 0:00lookforsaravana@gmail.com2310022-12-18 0:002
    23-12-18 0:00lookforsaravana@gmail.com2310022-12-18 0:002

Rules to get urldescription and click description columns.

1) Get urldescription  from click table for min(eventdate) for each emailid and sendid combinations
    2) Get click_description from click table for min(eventdate) for each emailid and sendid combinations

Expected Output :

eventdateemailidsendidlistidfirstclknumberofclickurl_descriptionclick_description
    20-12-18 0:00lookforkumar@gmail.com2210020-12-18 0:002PCFlipkart
    22-12-18 0:00lookforsaravana@gmail.com2310022-12-18 0:002IPHONEAMAZON

couple of quick question:

1) Is it possible to get expected results for  url_description and click_description columns  without using self joins.
    2)  Is it possible to get expected results for  url_description and click_description columns using Over() (analytical )functions. Will I be able to eliminate duplicate records if I use  self join to get  url_description and click_description column value .

Saravanan

• I don't fully unserstand your requirements from your description but yes you can get the same result set without doing a self join and by using some window functions.

All the data you need appeared to be in the one table so I excluded the other.  Again...not sure of the design but here is an example for you.

create table #click
    (
    eventid date,
    emailid varchar(200),
    sendid int,
    listid int,
    );

insert into #click values('2018-12-20','lookforkumar@gmail.com',22,100,'PC','FLIPKART');
    insert into #click values('2018-12-21','lookforkumar@gmail.com',22,100,'SMARTPHONE','FLIPKART');
    insert into #click values('2018-12-22','lookforsaravana@gmail.com',23,100,'IPHONE','AMAZON');
    insert into #click values('2018-12-23','lookforsaravana@gmail.com',23,100,'PC','FLIPKART');

SELECT
    eventid,
    emailid,
    sendid,
    listid,
    MIN(eventid) OVER (PARTITION BY emailid, sendid, listid ORDER BY eventid) AS firstclick,
    COUNT(*) OVER (PARTITION BY emailid, sendid, listid) AS numberofclick

FROM
    #click

GROUP BY
    eventid,
    emailid,
    sendid,
    listid

DROP TABLE #click

Cheers,

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• Y.B. - Monday, November 5, 2018 11:28 AM

I don't fully unserstand your requirements from your description but yes you can get the same result set without doing a self join and by using some window functions.

All the data you need appeared to be in the one table so I excluded the other.  Again...not sure of the design but here is an example for you.

create table #click
    (
    eventid date,
    emailid varchar(200),
    sendid int,
    listid int,
    );

insert into #click values('2018-12-20','lookforkumar@gmail.com',22,100,'PC','FLIPKART');
    insert into #click values('2018-12-21','lookforkumar@gmail.com',22,100,'SMARTPHONE','FLIPKART');
    insert into #click values('2018-12-22','lookforsaravana@gmail.com',23,100,'IPHONE','AMAZON');
    insert into #click values('2018-12-23','lookforsaravana@gmail.com',23,100,'PC','FLIPKART');

SELECT
    eventid,
    emailid,
    sendid,
    listid,
    MIN(eventid) OVER (PARTITION BY emailid, sendid, listid ORDER BY eventid) AS firstclick,

FROM
    #click

GROUP BY
    eventid,
    emailid,
    sendid,
    listid

DROP TABLE #click

Cheers,

Myself  able to get firstclick and number of clicks columns correctly. I want to fetch url_description and click_description columns

Saravanan

• Y.B. - Monday, November 5, 2018 11:28 AM

I don't fully unserstand your requirements from your description but yes you can get the same result set without doing a self join and by using some window functions.

create table #click
    (
    eventid date,
    emailid varchar(200),
    sendid int,
    listid int,
    );

SELECT
    eventid,
    emailid,
    sendid,
    listid,

FROM
    #click

GROUP BY
    eventid,
    emailid,
    sendid,
    listid

DROP TABLE #click

Cheers,

Myself  able to get firstclick and number of clicks columns correctly. I want to fetch url_description and click_description columns

Saravanan

• Sorry but I’m doing this on mobile right now. Just follow my example for the window function where I use MIN but instead use FIRST_VALUE and change the column name to the one you want I.e. url_description.

I believe that should get you what you are looking for since you only care about the values during the first visit it seems. Give it a try and see how you make out.

0 rows returned

• Ok, back in front of my computer.  Also I didn't originally scroll down and see your expected output.

I omitted eventid for grouping purposes but it's the same as your first click in your expample anyway.  If you really want to see it twice just simple copy the one window function and give it a different name.  I'm still not convinced this is the best way of doing this but it matches your output and meets your requirements of using window functions and not using a self join.  

create table #click
    (
    eventid date,
    emailid varchar(200),
    sendid int,
    listid int,
    );

SELECT DISTINCT
    emailid,
    sendid,
    listid,
    COUNT(*) OVER (PARTITION BY emailid, sendid, listid) AS numberofclick,
    MIN(url_description) OVER (PARTITION BY emailid, sendid, listid ORDER BY eventid) AS url_description,
    MIN(click_description) OVER (PARTITION BY emailid, sendid, listid ORDER BY eventid) AS click_description

FROM
    #click

GROUP BY
    eventid,
    emailid,
    sendid,
    listid,
    url_description,
    click_description

DROP TABLE #click

0 rows returned

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply