Add "Filler Rows" to a subquery to tie values

• I am wondering if there is a way to query a subquery and add extra rows so a running total will tie with a different column?  For example, in the temp tables below...#mytable is the raw subquery data.  I want to sum the Labor Hours row totals by employee/date and add an additional row to make sure the sum of Labor Hours ties to the Pay Hours per employee/date.  The #mytable2 example shows an example of the output I am looking for and has an 'ADD' text for the added rows.

It would be nice to accomplish this in a query rather than a stored procedure if possible.  Alternatively, is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Ross

--===== If the test table already exists, drop it

IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB..#mytable','U') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #mytable

--===== Create the test table with

CREATE TABLE #mytable

(

ID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED, --Is an IDENTITY column on real table

EmployeeNum VARCHAR(14),

LaborDate date,

PayHours DECIMAL(5,2),

LaborType VARCHAR(4),

LaborHours DECIMAL(5,2)

)

--===== All Inserts into the IDENTITY column

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #mytable ON

--===== Insert the test data into the test table

INSERT INTO #mytable

(ID, EmployeeNum, LaborDate, PayHours, LaborType, LaborHours)

SELECT 1,'EMP1','7/15/2019',CAST(8 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'P',CAST(3 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 2,'EMP1','7/15/2019',CAST(8 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'S',CAST(2 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 3,'EMP1','7/15/2019',CAST(8 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'I',CAST(2 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 4,'EMP2','7/15/2019',CAST(9 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'P',CAST(4 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 5,'EMP2','7/15/2019',CAST(9 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'I',CAST(3 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 6,'EMP2','7/15/2019',CAST(9 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'P',CAST(1 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 7,'EMP3','7/15/2019',CAST(8.5 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'P',CAST(4 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 8,'EMP3','7/15/2019',CAST(8.5 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'P',CAST(4 AS DECIMAL(5,2))

--===== Set the identity insert back to normal

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #mytable OFF

SELECT * FROM #mytable

-------------------------------------------------------

--desired result after new query on #mytable1

--===== If the test table already exists, drop it

IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB..#mytable','U') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #mytable2

--===== Create the test table with

CREATE TABLE #mytable2

(

ID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED, --Is an IDENTITY column on real table

EmployeeNum VARCHAR(14),

LaborDate date,

PayHours DECIMAL(5,2),

LaborType VARCHAR(4),

LaborHours DECIMAL(5,2)

)

--===== All Inserts into the IDENTITY column

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #mytable2 ON

--===== Insert the test data into the test table

INSERT INTO #mytable2

(ID, EmployeeNum, LaborDate, PayHours, LaborType, LaborHours)

SELECT 1,'EMP1','7/15/2019',CAST(8 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'P',CAST(3 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 2,'EMP1','7/15/2019',CAST(8 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'S',CAST(2 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 3,'EMP1','7/15/2019',CAST(8 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'I',CAST(2 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 4,'EMP1','7/15/2019',CAST(8 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'ADD',CAST(1 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 5,'EMP2','7/15/2019',CAST(9 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'P',CAST(4 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 6,'EMP2','7/15/2019',CAST(9 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'I',CAST(3 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 7,'EMP2','7/15/2019',CAST(9 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'P',CAST(1 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 8,'EMP2','7/15/2019',CAST(9 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'ADD',CAST(1 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 9,'EMP3','7/15/2019',CAST(8.5 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'P',CAST(4 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 10,'EMP3','7/15/2019',CAST(8.5 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'P',CAST(4 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) UNION ALL

SELECT 11,'EMP3','7/15/2019',CAST(8.5 AS DECIMAL(5,2)),'ADD',CAST(.5 AS DECIMAL(5,2))

--===== Set the identity insert back to normal

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #mytable2 OFF

SELECT * FROM #mytable2

• This gives the expected results, but it may not handle unexpected data such as PayHours being inconsistent for a given employee/date.

SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY m.EmployeeNum, m.LaborDate, GROUPING(m.ID), m.ID) AS ID
    ,m.EmployeeNum
    ,m.LaborDate
    ,m.PayHours
    ,CASE
    WHEN GROUPING(m.ID) = 0 THEN m.LaborType
    ELSE 'ADD'
    END AS LaborType
    ,CASE
    WHEN GROUPING(m.ID) = 0 THEN SUM(m.LaborHours)
    ELSE m.PayHours - SUM(m.LaborHours)
    END AS LaborHours
    FROM #mytable AS m
    GROUP BY GROUPING SETS((m.ID, m.EmployeeNum, m.LaborDate, m.PayHours, m.LaborType), (m.EmployeeNum, m.LaborDate, m.PayHours))
    HAVING SUM(m.LaborHours) < m.PayHours;

I'm also not sure that you actually want include the ID as part of the output, but I have given a method that will do so.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• That is so great, thank you!  It works perfectly.  I am going to study it to wrap my head around what is happening here.

I am assuming that I can change the #mytable piece to a (sub select) statement and all works the same?

Thank you,

Ross

• ross.hughes wrote:

That is so great, thank you!  It works perfectly.  I am going to study it to wrap my head around what is happening here.

I am assuming that I can change the #mytable piece to a (sub select) statement and all works the same?

Thank you,

Ross

You can absolutely substitute a derived table (sub select) for #mytable, but I prefer using CTEs.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply