Active/Active cluster setup in s2k5

• hi,

Iam configuring active/active clustering, in this process I installed a named instance INS1 on node A with virtual server name VS01. To make active/active whether I need to install same instance(INS1) on node B?

I tried to install with the same instance name INS1 on node B, it says database services already installed, so it will not be installed. So on Node B I need give differenet instance name other than INS1??

Basically I need to install one instance on node A n one instance on Node B. So my question can we give same Instance name on both nodes?

• They'll have to have different names. Both instances are installed on both nodes, although they're only active on one at a time.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • thanks Gails,

From Brad McGehee Article:

A 2-node active/active cluster, where you are running a single instance of SQL Server 2005 on each node. If one of the two active nodes should fail, then the failed active instance would failover to the other active node, with the end result that you are running two active instances of SQL Server 2005 on the same physical node.

In my case the INS1 installed on Node A. I can see this insance in Node B also. So what is the point of running the setup again in Node B to make active/active and giving different name like INS2.

Iam little confused....

Just tell me what to do for my scenario. I have 2 nodes Node A n Node B. No instance is installed so far. I need to make Node A n Node B as Active/Active. What are the steps I need to do in Node A n Node B now?

Thanks in Advance

• What Brad is saying is that in active/active, you are running two difference instances, one on each node. It's not possible to run one instance on both nodes at the same time.

With Inst1 installed on both and active on one, you have an active/passive cluster. The second node is doing nothing. To have an active/active cluster, you need to install a second instance (which will have separate databases) on the second node. Then Node A is the active node for Inst 1 and the failover node for Inst2, Node B is the active node for Inst 2 and the failover node for Inst 1.

Make any sense?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thank for quick reply

I installed INS1 on Node A and INS2 on Node B. But the management studio is not installed on Node B. Iam trying to install client tools on node B (I have servers n Tools folders) it is giving me the following message

Name: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools (64-bit)

Allowed Action: Maintain(Action is only available from Add or Remove programs)

Reason: cannot maintain product, to maintain the product go to Add or Remove programs.

After this message if i click next Iam getting below error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Setup

------------------------------

None of the selected features can be installed or upgraded. Setup cannot proceed since no effective change is being made to the machine. To continue, click Back and then select features to install. To exit SQL Server Setup, click Cancel.

So tried through add or Remove programs, but I got the options for maintaing the virtual server and Remove. no option to install ClientTools

Could you plz tell me the way to install management studio on Node B

Thanks

• Gail,

could yo uplz tell me how t get the management studio on node B

thanks

• No idea. I never install client tools on a server.

Gail Shaw

• Gail is right, you shouldn't need client tools on server. If it is a must have, you should be able to install only MGMT Studio by running the install from Disk 2.

It should have been part of the install though. When you install SQL Server 2005 on a cluster environment, I think by default it will install client tools on the current active node. If you have 1 instance on each node, there should have been an install of the client tools on each node.

• I always install the client tools on the server - you never know when you aren't going to have network access, be working in the server room, etc.

On an Active/Active cluster, I set up and install the virtual server that I intend to run on Node A, including the tools. Same for Node B.

That way Both nodes (or three or four, etc.) have the client tools installed as well.

If it is Active/Passive, I install the client tools on the 'Passive' node.

I also make sure any patches are run directly from the nodes themselves as well. That way the client tools are kept up to date as well.

• Hi,

In case of SQL 2008 .Active/Active Cluster installation..Should we install the SQL Failover cluster on both the nodes or the Standalone Sql 2008 server?

Please help

PK

• if the server is stand alone then there is no cluster, could you explain a little more please?

do you have a windows cluster configured and ready to go?

Have you created the necessary resources for the sql installation (clustername, IP, disks, etc)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks for the fast reply.

This is what I am trying to accomplish.

I have three Windows server 2008 Nodes in a cluster

I am trying to set up SQL 2008 Active/Active cluster

In the initial screen of sql2008 Installation UI I see the following options

1. New SQL Server Standalone Installation

2. New SQL Server failover Cluster Installation

3. Add Node to a SQL server Failover Cluster

I am confussed which one to go with ..on both nodes

Thanks in advance

PK

• you have 3 nodes

NODE A

NODE B

NODE C

run setup on NODE A and you would select "New SQL Server failover Cluster Installation". During set up you indicate which cluster nodes participate in this failover instance.

Once the first instance is installed you then run setup on NODE B or NODE C and you would select "New SQL Server failover Cluster Installation". Again during set up you indicate which cluster nodes participate in this failover instance. This then becomes an active\active cluster as more than 1 node has an active sql instance running. Bear in mind with active\active clusters all participating nodes with an active instance need to be licenced. Passive nodes dont need to be.

What you could end up with is a sql instance active on NODE A and NODE B with NODE C as the failover partner. If you're unsure play around with this in a test environment to get a feel for how it works.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• -- posted out of order, please ignore. It won;t let me delete my response.

• Answer to the SQL 2008 clustering

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179530.aspx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply