Active / Passive clustering

• Step by Step procedure for active / Passive SQL 2000 Clustering.

(1)For Active /Passive in second node do we have to install only SQL client or Full enterprise Version..

(2)What about location of Binary and Data files in second node ?

(3) Will there be only one Virtual server?

Edited by - Munish9 on 07/18/2001 1:12:39 PM

• This will show you how to an Active/Active cluster.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight/stepbystepclustering.asp

To do an Active/Passive cluster, just stop at this paragraph:

quote:

After rebooting the servers you can install SQL Server on the second node. Install it exactly the same way but you’ll need to assign another virtual SQL Server name and IP address. You’ll also need to use and instance name for the second node. There are special notes in my previous article about using an instance name. I would recommend rebooting one more time after you’ve installed the second instance, although it is not required. After that, you're ready to install Service Pack 1 for SQL Server 2000.

There isn't a whole lot of difference between an A/A cluster and an A/P cluster except that A/A cluster has the second instance of SQL Server installed. If you don't do this, you're in A/P mode.

Brian Knight

bknight@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

• Ok, this is it. But, when I select (in Cluster Definition screen) each two nodes in SQL 2000 setup, installation ends with fail state. This message appears on the end of the installation. Yours step-by-step article helps me much, but, still my installation fails. Do you have any idea?

• I resolved my problem. My step-by-step guide for Active/Passive SQL Server 2000 installation in clustered environment has some differences. If anyone interested in this, I could write down and send an article.

Bye...

• If you'd like to put together an article we'd be happy to post as long as it fits our standards (good quality, easy to read, etc). Forward it to any of the site owners.

Andy

• OK. I will. But, today and tomorow (Thursday and Freday) I have so much to do. Saturday is my day...

Best regards

Jass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply