Activation Stored Proc with Parameters

• I am trying to begin playing with the Service Broker, and I came across the following tutorial which basically does exactly what I need

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/dev/service_broker_p2.aspx

however, I am not sure if there is a flaw in the tutorial or if I am missing somerthing.

I have attached the code I am using. I am running on a SQL Server 2005 box and when I execute the code, I get the following error

Msg 9653, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

The activation stored procedure 'spLogMessage' is invalid. Activation stored procedures cannot require parameters.

but in the tutorial, the activation stored proc has parameters. Can someone please help me out? 🙂

Thanks!

Michael

• Then, unless it had all optional parameters, the tutorial was wrong. Service Broker passes no[/b] parameters to the activation procedure, so if it requires any, the activation will fail.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• As a side note, when I was learning Service Broker a couple of years ago, I read over thirty articles, tutorials and walkthroughs, including many from Microsoft. And yet I could not get a single one of them to work!

What I discovered later was that every one of those articles either had significant mistakes or, more often, left out important details that made it impossible to get their examples to work (Microsoft's examples have since been corrected, mostly). In response to this I made up my own presentation, and example code to teach Service Broker, and especially to point out all of the typical mistakes and traps that first-time SB developers get caught by.

You can download it here. I promise you that it works.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Bob Hovious (2/9/2010)

As a side note, when I was learning Service Broker a couple of years ago, I read over thirty articles, tutorials and walkthroughs, including many from Microsoft. And yet I could not get a single one of them to work!

What I discovered later was that every one of those articles either had significant mistakes or, more often, left out important details that made it impossible to get their examples to work (Microsoft's examples have since been corrected, mostly). In response to this I made up my own presentation, and example code to teach Service Broker, and especially to point out all of the typical mistakes and traps that first-time SB developers get caught by.

You can download it here. I promise you that it works.

Thank you very much! I will check out your examples and slides!

• Hi Barry, Your "You can download it here." link doesn't work. I'd love to see that example. Thanks.

• Me too.

• mike 57299 (2/27/2014)

Me too.

Same here. It'd be nice.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Sorry folks, the site has been down for years.

I am attaching a ZIP of what I think was at this link ...

[/font]

• Hi Barry, will give it a try - thanks for the effort.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply