Account alert

• I have a windows service account(AAAA) which gives access to either other windows accounts or creates other sql accounts) in a SQL database server.

How can I identify any other accounts which are given access or created in that database server but not created/given access through this windows service account(AAAA).

I need to be immediately notified when another account crops up in that server (cannot use a trigger).

Advise is appreciated.

Thanks

• Why can't you use a trigger?  You could investigate SQL Audit instead - I think that would deliver what you're looking for.

John

• Even if I use sql audit I believe I need a sql job to frequently check the audit log for whatever data I am looking for in it which should send and email out. I do not want to run a sql job frequently.

i need something as real time as a trigger to send out an email in case my conditions meet . Ex an insert delete acc creation etc ..

• Do you know of any 3rd party open source applications which do the work of a trigger ?

• A. Why not a trigger?  This is one of the few examples where a trigger makes sense.

B. You do not want to run a SQL job frequently.  Define frequently, and why is this a problem?

I suspect you may be operating with some misconceptions, seriously poor performing (or under powered) hardware, or a third party application.

As far as a third party app that emulates a trigger, none that I know of.  Idera's SQL Compliance manager may do that for you.  But compared to the cost of a trigger or SQL job, it's very expensive.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Thanks for the response.I do agree with everything you have mentioned . But I don’t decide.

• mtz676 wrote:

Thanks for the response.I do agree with everything you have mentioned . But I don’t decide.

I feel your pain.  Presumably you're the DBA?  If you don't get to make the technical decisions, it could be time to move on to somewhere that your skills are more appreciated.

John

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply