Accessing MSDE via ODBC

• Hi Folks

Im a Lotus notes , NT administrator living in Sydney Australia with no real sql knowledge. I installed The MSDE from the MS office 2000 CD onto my NT server and configured an SQL datasource to connect to it on my Windows 98 PCs. Basically I only intend using MSDE as an object store for MS project files. I am able to connect to the MSDE (via the test connection button in the ODBC configuration ) unless I add all my NT users to the administrators group. This alows me to save MS Project files to the MSDE However if they are not members of the administrators group I get a 18456 error and they cant connect. I can't use the SP commands such as sp_grantlogin as MSDE dosent come with Enterprise manager so I dont know how to grant access rights to MSDE. I know I can run MSDE locally with the "sa" account but I am trying to use MSDE as a service on an NT server.

I recently installed the SP3 for Sql 7 & MSDE

Any Ideas or web sites I could visit/

Thanks from Down under

Joe

• If you're familiar with DMO you can manage logins (and a lot of other stuff) that way - the object model pretty much maps to Enterprise Manager. If you just want to execute the odd stored procedure, just open an ADO connection and do connection.storedprocedure param, param. There are also some free Query Analyzer look a likes - one I tried that was pretty good can be found here:

http://www.sourcecode.co.nz/

Andy

• I figured this out with the help of a book "MSDE bible" by D.Walls and D Gosnell.

On NT I can use sp commands if I use OSQL -E first I then go a 1> prompt where I can issue my SP command and on the next line isue a Go command to execute it.

• Thanks for the follow up!

Andy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply