Access 2000 to SQL 2000

• I'm about to embark on a project that will require us to convert an Access 2000 database to an SQL 2000. I want to develop web interfaces for the database however until those web apps are complete I want to keep using Access as a front end to the new SQL database. My question is what is the best method for bringing my Access 2000 database into SQL 2000, importing, upsizing or is this where DTS comes into play? I'm new at it and I really don't know. Thanks

• The upsize wizard is a good start. After that its worth spending some time looking at how triggers and stored procedures can help you. Certainly you can program against Access for now, then change your connection string/UDL/DSN later on to point to the SQL db. You can even just move the tables into SQL, link them back into Access and work that way.

Andy

• Make sure you read the white paper on Microsoft's site to get details on using the upsize wizard. I recently used it with 97 but I know 2000 is alot better. I used linked tables when making the Access Front End.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply