A Token Escape

• But even if tokens are enabled, will this job do what the DBA wants it to do?

I ran an altered test scenario on my local SQL Sever. I had two steps: one to print the value of A-DBN and another to check for objects in the dbo schema newer than 90 days (I chose dbo because I don't have a maint schema).

The following messages were returned (I tried several databases including master and user databases):

Step 1 (print A-DBN)

Executed as user: NT SERVICE\SQLAgent$SQL2014. Current database name is [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 0). The step succeeded.

Step 2 (check for objects over 90 days old and raiserror, as in the QOTD)

Executed as user: NT SERVICE\SQLAgent$SQL2014. One or more objects in the .maint schema are more than 90 days old. Review and see if they can be dropped, or moved to a different schema [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 50000). The step succeeded.

Why was A-DBN empty? Did I mess something up or is the handsome DBA from the question going to be banging his head again once he enables tokens and this still doesn't work?

• typo corrected.

• Toreador (4/28/2016)

I didn't know, so chose "I don't know", but was told that apparently I did know after all.

Obviously I'm cleverer than I thought.

Made me bust out laughing.

• Marcia J (4/28/2016)

Toreador (4/28/2016)

I didn't know, so chose "I don't know", but was told that apparently I did know after all.

Obviously I'm cleverer than I thought.

Made me bust out laughing.

It is a paradox of Carroll proportions!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I am so glad your code didn't simply DELETE the objects that it discovered!

The last IF EXISTS that I see is now looking at the 'dbo' schema... ooops!

• Great question, thanks.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Thanks for the question.

• Great question Andy, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply