A SQL Server Patching Shortcut

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A SQL Server Patching Shortcut

• Thanks for your article.

• No probs - I hope people found it useful

• If you are using Total Commander, you can press Ctrl-PageDown to enter the archive (similar to switching to a folder) and use the usual Copy-routine to extract the files you want to whereever you want.

• The title seems misleading. It could be A SQL Server Patch Download Shortcut. One download can serve all same domain server using shared location.

• I use this method all the time not only for patches but for new instance installs as well.

Another tip: Instead of /extract you can just use /x

Tip 2: If you don't specify a target directory for the extraction you will get a GUI prompt and you can browse to where you want to store the files. If the final directory doesn't exist, just type it in.

As I said before I do this for new installs as well. I extract my Service Pack and Cumulative Updates with this method. Then I run the SQL server setup from command line with the options /PCU="<path to service pack extracted files>" /CU="<path to cumulative update extracted files>"

Who needs to bother with slipstreaming a setup. Just do that and your brand new install will be patched up when done. So easy, so much time saved.

Hope this added tip helps!

Jon

• Thanks very much for the slipstreaming tip.

The /x option is still present but I never mentioned it as it's been deprecated (according to that KB article).

I did mention that not specifying a target directory will prompt the user to specify one, but it was only briefly and near the end of the article.

• <second attempt at a reply>

Hi Jon,

I didn't make any reference to the /x option because it's been deprecated (according to the kb article) and I did mention that not specifying a path launches a prompt but that was only in brief towards the end of the post.

Thanks very much for that slipstreaming tip - that looks very useful.

-Ajmer

• <third attempt at a response as they seem to keep disappearing straight after I post them>

Hi Jon,

I did mention that not specifying a path will trigger a dialog prompting the user to enter a path but it was very briefly towards the end of the article.

I omitted the /x option (it was in the original draft) because when I read the kb article it mention that /x has been deprecated.

Thanks very much for the slipstreaming trip - that will be very useful.

Regards,

Ajmer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply