A Special Announcement from Andy, Brian, and Steve

• One more time Bill - why is this so important to you ?!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• sushila,

Because I believe that a site should show who the actual owner is. There were 'anti-Red Gate' postings when Steve, et al, announced the sale. Besides Brian of ApexSQL, there were several posters who made comments about other actions by Red Gate (ex. taking over other sites and changing content). I read the stuff on the bottom one time, long ago. Now I never scroll down that far. I read the announcement, which is no longer available on the main page. I currently see what anyone else coming to this site sees - the only thing it says is the site is SUPPORTED BY RED-GATE SOFTWARE. How many 'new members' does this site get a day? Do they know the site is owned by Red-Gate? While I don't believe this site will completely change, there have been changes. Red-Gate controls the advertising, so that's not independent. So, I ask again, what is Red Gate hiding that it isn't easily visible that they own the site?

But Steve let me know they are debating the issue and will make a decision. I'm ending my comments here and letting Steve, et al, make the final decision. I've had my say and that's all I asked.

-SQLBill

• ssc - why is this important?  To someone who doesn't care about media independence, anti-competitive practices or ethics, I fully agree, this isn't important at all.  for the rest of us who make up this community - such concerns are relevant and important.

this SSC disclaimer is a classic Red-Gate half-truth.  Red-Gate owns the site - so why lie about it?  The reason is obvious - to continue the perception that the site is independent.  Steve said I needed to "deal" with Red-Gate on my bill - so I disagree with the concept that he is the "independent operator" of the site, otherwise I would continue to deal with him.  I imagine Steve is paid by Red-Gate (unless he is working for free).  so???   There would be no semantics if the disclaimer wasn't deliberately skewed - "supported by Red-Gate" "sponsored by SQL compare" - I mean come on.

Red-Gate has emailed me to indicate they have the right to censor any ads I ran based on standards they refused to disclose - how does that jive with them not owning the site.  They didn't say Steve had this right - they said they did. 

Steve has done a good job in my opinion of implementing the independence of the site - but let's face it Red-Gate could do anything they want - at any time.  my "rants" have probably blunted their ambition only temporarily.  If no one cared or spoke up most likely this site would have been painted red already.  So props to everyone who has sounded off on this.  Steve's clock is ticking - he'll be gone after a year.  what will happen then?

I've taken some time off from ranting but Red-Gate keeps this topic alive - they just can't help themselves.  I almost missed this bogus "supported by" disclaimer as I try to avoid coming to this site as much as possible.  thx for letting me know.

here is a link of the best of my "Rants"

http://www.apexsql.com/lockwood/labels/Red-Gate.html

Brian Lockwood
    President
    ApexSQL - SQL Developer Essentials

http://www.apexsql.com/blog

Stand up for an Independent SQL Community - be Informed

• Steve et al,

THANK YOU. I know I 'gave you a hard time' and was probably 'being a pain in the ...', but you listened. The change happened and even though it is a small change, it's an important (in my opinion) change. I like the 'a community service from: red-gate SQL Server Tools'.

-SQLBill

• Couldn't have said it better myself, Brian! An independent community would be better for everyone, and I would say the same thing if apexsql bought the site.

That said, we're on a Microsoft SQL Server site, so we're already dependent on a vendor, for both database and operating system. Don't mention mySQL, Oracle, or postgreSQL in these forums, or you'll be modded down off topic (when is that functionality coming, anyway?).

The fact is, Red-Gate bought this site because of us. If they screw it up, they'll loose us, so in the end, we have at least some power.

I also don't blame the owners for selling out. They built a good website, put a lot of work into it, and deserve to be rewarded for that. I just hope they got a good price. It would have been better for us if they didn't, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

PS: I use the apexsql suite every day and love it. We tried some Red-Gate software, but it just didn't do what we needed, and was more expensive.

Signature is NULL

• Totally agree on the dependence on MS products for the user of this site. Most products built on dbs are not likely to jump from one DB to another.

Our dependence on this site will be entirely down to its content. As long as Steve carries on doing as well as he is and this site continues to have relevant resources it will get used. We all use Google and can find better stuff if it's there.

I would say well done to Steve, Brian and co. for creating their own business and getting bought out. It is a good business model and they have earned it.

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 110 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply