A Sad Story about Upgrading to Windows 10

• Back to the original topic: coincidentally I decided to finally bite the bullet and upgrade my home laptop last weekend. I've had Win 10 on my work machine for a month and like it very much. I prepared my cheat sheet (options to select to reduce phoning home behaviour), and pressed the 'upgrade now' button. Waited for the heavens to fall........

Home upgrade started, rebooted, went nowhere......after googling 'Windows 10 upgrade hangs' on my phone, I rebooted the laptop and Windows 7 reappeared - phew! It turns out certain Samsung laptops have a wifi adapter which is disliked by Widows 10. So at some point, I will open up the machine, remove the offending device and retry the upgrade.

Post roll-back, all my files were still intact, so I haven't needed to use the precautionary backup which I took before upgrading.

On a related topic, I'm pleased to see that if I wait a couple of years, I'll be able to indulge my enjoyment of SQL Server while no longer being tied to Windows. Linux - way to go! Does Linux spy on its users?

• I think a problem with not blaming people if they don't have a job because their is no work is we will anyways. Everyone might be using their free time for a "productive hobby", knitting, painting, writing music etc. If you happen to not be interested in that either you'll be lazy. Additionally, the work doesn't have to go to 0 it just has to be less than can be efficiently spread around. Say half of people aren't automated yet and half are. You really think the half that have to/have the skills still needed won't feel superior to the dummies that are no longer needed? We have that now even with most people working as far as I know "professionals" have always looked down on people that work with their hands, trades have always looked down on the "unskilled" labor, unskilled labor on the "welfare bums" etc. It seems in grained in humanity we need to find a reason to feel above average. Additionally you have the Calvinist: work is good mentality that will make you feel guilty if you can't think of anything to do.

• Ivanova (3/15/2016)

Back to the original topic: coincidentally I decided to finally bite the bullet and upgrade my home laptop last weekend. I've had Win 10 on my work machine for a month and like it very much. I prepared my cheat sheet (options to select to reduce phoning home behaviour), and pressed the 'upgrade now' button. Waited for the heavens to fall........

Home upgrade started, rebooted, went nowhere......after googling 'Windows 10 upgrade hangs' on my phone, I rebooted the laptop and Windows 7 reappeared - phew! It turns out certain Samsung laptops have a wifi adapter which is disliked by Widows 10. So at some point, I will open up the machine, remove the offending device and retry the upgrade.

Post roll-back, all my files were still intact, so I haven't needed to use the precautionary backup which I took before upgrading.

On a related topic, I'm pleased to see that if I wait a couple of years, I'll be able to indulge my enjoyment of SQL Server while no longer being tied to Windows. Linux - way to go! Does Linux spy on its users?

The feds did at one point approach Linus and make that request. It was denied. That is not to say it won't happen at some point. However as I understand it, the majority, if not all, of the Linux source code is available for anyone to review. If something were put in place to do so, at a minimum we would at least know what it was doing, and who it was being reported to.

On a side note, I had an interesting reaction last night to the news story that among others, Microsoft's sites were infecting people with ransomware. Trust Microsoft!

Disclaimer - yes I am aware of how it occurred, how it slipped through whatever reviews companies might have, and that it happened on a lot of major sites.

Dave

• Ivanova (3/15/2016)

Does Linux spy on its users?

I don't think so. Since the code is publicly scrutinized any such code will be found out pretty quickly.

For those in the computer field linux is heaven.

Linux is especially good on the server side so it makes sense to port SQL Server to linux.

• Unfortunately I am not in the computer field I am in the business field. When staffing an IT operation, Windows geeks grow on trees.

• umailedit (3/16/2016)

Ivanova (3/15/2016)

I don't think so. Since the code is publicly scrutinized any such code will be found out pretty quickly.

Linux is especially good on the server side so it makes sense to port SQL Server to linux.

...or in computing Linux is a field?

The one problem/benefit of Linux that I see businesses reason why they hold back from adopting Linux is that its fragmentation is very reminiscent of the Unix fragmentation of a couple of decades before.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• If you use Linux on your network, you need onboard Linux expertise. In other words, you need to know what you are doing.

• Gary Varga (3/17/2016)

umailedit (3/16/2016)

Ivanova (3/15/2016)

...or in computing Linux is a field?

The one problem/benefit of Linux that I see businesses reason why they hold back from adopting Linux is that its fragmentation is very reminiscent of the Unix fragmentation of a couple of decades before.

RHEL seems to be the "standard" that most organizations in health care use. I don't see that as fragmented at all. The biggest issue is the amount of changes between RHEL 6 and 7, but if you have decent Linux administrators, it isn't an issue. You wouldn't run a data center using Windows without decent admins, so no difference there. The real difference may be that Windows admins are a dime a dozen, you actually have to pay for a good Linux admin. Those guys are really in demand!

Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply