A Live Node

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Live Node

• Steve,

I know that is a reprinted editorial, but a very good editorial on our busy lives. You are correct that we need to slow down and stop answering the phone every time there is a call or text that interrupts us. Some things are a lot more important than the latest info provided in that call or text message. Tanks for the reminder.:hehe:

• broken link for the continuous partial attention article

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/604007/210733

• At my first full-time job at a cell phone/network company gave me a cell phone in 1994. That was my first on-call. The excitement fade away very quickly realizing , business or personal purposes, people can interrupt my life whenever they want, and since then I have never owned a cell phone.

I grab my wife's phone when I go into a jungle etc. as an emergency phone.

However, I appreciate those who can handle the interruptions, I just cant.

Burhan

Single Tasker

• What is Steve's phone number? We should all call him now while he is on vacation. Or at the very least, bombard him with text messages. 😀

Yes I am only kidding. If you know his number, please DON'T post it!

Seriously Steve, when you get back and read this AFTER your vacation - I hope it was a good one, a real memory-maker for you and your family.

• I have to admit, the bit about shoveling manure while on the phone made me laugh.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Yeah, that part was...picturesque. I started wondering if he was using an earpiece, or trying to pinch it between his shoulder and head, imagining how hard that would be to not drop it, and whether I would pick it up again or not...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• No. I was thinking of a more ... metaphorical ... manure.

I know salespeople who shovel manure all day on the phone. But it's not really multitasking.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (6/3/2011)

No. I was thinking of a more ... metaphorical ... manure.

I know salespeople who shovel manure all day on the phone. But it's not really multitasking.

Ah, gotcha. You're so deep...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (6/3/2011)

GSquared (6/3/2011)

No. I was thinking of a more ... metaphorical ... manure.

Ah, gotcha. You're so deep...

Or at least my metaphorical manure is ...

Property of The Thread

• I keep my cell in silent mode or off all the time. Every few hours I switch it on and return missed calls. That way the phone doesn't interrupt me but I can also be reached but somewhat slowly.

I also wish I can find a phone that can discard sms from any number that is not on my contact list. All those dumb spam sms, I would like to delete automatically without wasting a single second on them. Anyone knows of such a phone model?

• I can tame my cell phone. I don't answer it if I am busy..it's everyone else's that drive me crazy. I can hardly have a conversation with my spouse anymore without her work, her kids, or her friends interrupting. Actually, now that I got her an iPad, I usually just talk to myself! I long for the days without the leash/cell phone! Back then I never had to explain why I did not answer any of the four calls she made in the last hour, which by the way were not important. The worst thing though is playing golf with someone who takes phone calls during the round.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply