A general way to maintain History tables

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A general way to maintain History tables

• Hi, Jefferson,

thank you for your article. You put some work in it, and this is something I really appreciate!

Personally I was mislead because based on the headline I expected an article about a suitable data model for historization (I hope this word exists).

In real life I don't like to throw away data; at least I want to save it in a kind of archive...

Keep on writing articles!

Best regards

JP

• Nice article. It will work best for small tables. Medium to large tables will incur performance issues. It would be best to partition the big tables and use sliding window maintenance for better performances.

• Hi,

thank you for your comments.

@Dscheypie, if you want to keep the data in some 'archive form' or aggregated form and so on, you can create your own cleanup method (a stored procedure to perform the action you want) and add it to the CleanupSettings.

@venkatasubramani.srinivasan : you are totally right, I haven't tried it on big tables but it can lead to performance issue for the first few runs : the idea is to run this every day so the amount of data that has to be kept is minimal.

Best regards,

Jeff'

• venkatasubramani.srinivasan (9/28/2015)

Nice article. It will work best for small tables. Medium to large tables will incur performance issues. It would be best to partition the big tables and use sliding window maintenance for better performances.

Thanks for the tip.

• Thanks for the article,
    I think I spotted a typo in the last paragraph of the Introduction:
      "... we will look closed at a cleanup type ...",
      should read "... we will look closer at a cleanup type ..."?
    tricky one as it won't be spotted by spellchecker 😉
    Cheers,

• Hi dav0id,

many thanks for reporting this error.

I've updated the contents so that it can be updated in the article.

Cheers,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply