A case for Standarization -- strong arguments needed

• Hello friends,

I need your opinion and ideas for pushing back.

I work for a big outsourcing company, and one of our clients is a State Government.

So this customer has around 15 different agencies, that for all intent and purposes they all act as different business units (or my customer's customers).

We support nearly 200 SQL servers total, all sizes, and we use TSM's TDP for backups *

* TDP stands for Tivoli Data Protection. In a nutshell, it's a master backup server that goes out to all SQL server and performs backups in a predefined schedule, and send them (eventually) to tape, providing very handy reporting abilities, etc.

The point... we use a third party tool for backups rather than native SQL backups.

The Problem

One of the Agencies (or business units), who only have one SQL server, is trying to save money on storage.

Their database total about 50 GB.

The thing is that TDP bills them for 50 GB (and then it compress the bak, yada yada), and they figure out that they could

use Native SQL Backups, and then use 7zip, and only have about 20 GB worth of backups (which the system wide backups moves to tape, etc). instant savings!, even with the extra storage used.

So, what arguments can we use to convince them to stay with the standard that we have in place?

The icing of the cake is that this business unit takes care of the budget for the state... so any penny pinching that they do goes a long way, and they frankly don't care about the vendors (me) efficiency.

From their point of view, they are having hard dollar savings, and the vendor must adapt to their request.

The overseeing entity (the actual State) is not really supportive of us saving money, and all the reasons I can come up with are

1- Efficient

2- Easy training the new folks

3- Better SLA -- If we have a disaster (database corruption, hardware still OK), our SLA says 4 hours to recover... and they are OK with taking twice as long (unlikely given the small footprint).

4- The contract says so ( they want to change the contract)

ideas?

What have I missed?

Thank you

• Hi,

I'm not sure if you are on SQL Enterprise Edition, but what about compressing your database using DATA_COMPRESSION (PAGE or ROW) option after analysing your table

requirements. Currently, I'm doing our entire data warehouse database cutting the space in half after compression.

That should help cut the cost for the backup.

-RR

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply