64 bit linked server to a folder of text files?

• Does anyone have a working linked server to a folder of text files in 64 bit yet?

I know the Jet driver was supposedly replaced with the new ACE driver for Office 64 bit;

However, I don't seem to be able to use it to replace some previous functionalities...

With the Jet driver, you could set up a Linked server to a folder full of text files Microsoft BOL Linked Servers, which i had done lots of times previously, and posted lots of forum examples here to boot.

now, with my 64 bit 2008, after installing the 64 bit AccessDatabaseEngine_x64.exe drivers, i cannot do the same;

i'm getting this error:

Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_tables_ex, Line 41

The OLE DB provider "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" for linked server "TxtSvr" reported an error. Provider caused a server fault in an external process.

Msg 7311, Level 16, State 2, Procedure sp_tables_ex, Line 41

Cannot obtain the schema rowset "DBSCHEMA_TABLES" for OLE DB provider "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" for linked server "TxtSvr". The provider supports the interface, but returns a failure code when it is used.

for reference, here is the exact code that i'm using to create my linked server to the folder c:\Data:

--#################################################################################################

--Linked server Syntax for Folder Full Of Text Files

--#################################################################################################

--add a folder as a linked server to access all .txt and .csv files in the folder

DECLARE @server sysname,

@srvproduct nvarchar(256),

@provider nvarchar(256),

@datasrc nvarchar(100),

@location nvarchar(100),

@provstr nvarchar(100),

@catalog sysname,

@sql varchar(1000)

SET @server = N'TxtSvr'

SET @srvproduct = N'OLE DB Provider for ACE'

SET @provider = N'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0'

SET @datasrc = N'C:\Data'

set @provstr = 'Text'

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver @server,@srvproduct,@provider,@datasrc,NULL,@provstr

--===== Create a linked server to the drive and path you desire.

--EXEC dbo.sp_AddLinkedServer TxtSvr,

-- 'MSDASQL',

-- 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0',

-- 'C:\',

-- NULL,

-- 'Text'

GO

--===== Set up login mappings.

EXEC dbo.sp_AddLinkedSrvLogin TxtSvr, FALSE, NULL, Admin, NULL

GO

--===== List the tables in the linked server which is really a list of

-- file names in the directory. Note that the "#" sign in the

-- Table_Name is where the period in the filename actually goes.

EXEC dbo.sp_Tables_Ex TxtSvr

GO

--===== Query one of the files by using a four-part name.

SELECT *

FROM TxtSvr...[xmlmap#txt]

--===== Drop the text server

EXEC dbo.sp_DropServer 'TxtSvr', 'DropLogins'

GO

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• bumping my own thread; someone out there manage to get a folder of text files worrking in 64 bit?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I am using 64 bit SSRS to read a text file into a report using the ACE driver. Make sure you install the 64bit version of the driver.

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=\\Server\Share\;Extended Properties="text;HDR=YES;FMT=Delimited"

• Did you ever get an answer on this?

• i did get it working on my own;

If you've installed the 64 bit drivers, and also set these two properties on the drivers:

--Required settings for the provider to work correctly as a linked server

EXEC master.dbo.sp_MSset_oledb_prop N'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0', N'AllowInProcess', 1

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_MSset_oledb_prop N'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0', N'DynamicParameters', 1

this code specifically let me see every csv/txt file and open them via a linked server:

--Linked server Syntax for Folder Full Of Text Files

--add a folder as a linked server to access all .txt and .csv files in the folder

DECLARE @server sysname,

@srvproduct nvarchar(256),

@provider nvarchar(256),

@datasrc nvarchar(100),

@location nvarchar(100),

@provstr nvarchar(100),

@catalog sysname,

@sql varchar(1000)

SET @server = N'TxtSvr'

SET @srvproduct = N'OLE DB Provider for ACE'

SET @provider = N'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0'

SET @datasrc = N'C:\Data\'

SET @provstr ='Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Data\;Extended Properties="text;HDR=YES;FMT=Delimited" '

set @provstr = 'Text'

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver @server,@srvproduct,@provider,@datasrc,@provstr,@provstr

--===== Create a linked server to the drive and path you desire.

--EXEC dbo.sp_AddLinkedServer TxtSvr,

-- 'MSDASQL',

-- 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0',

-- 'C:\',

-- NULL,

-- 'Text'

GO

--===== Set up login mappings.

EXEC dbo.sp_AddLinkedSrvLogin TxtSvr, FALSE, NULL, Admin, NULL

GO

--===== List the tables in the linked server which is really a list of

-- file names in the directory. Note that the "#" sign in the

-- Table_Name is where the period in the filename actually goes.

EXEC dbo.sp_Tables_Ex TxtSvr

GO

--===== Query one of the files by using a four-part name.

SELECT *

FROM TxtSvr...[LEgalName_NickName_List#txt]

--===== Drop the text server

-- EXEC dbo.sp_DropServer 'TxtSvr', 'DropLogins'

GO

Lowell

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply