/3GB switch - SQL not using memory

• I am having a problem with SQL Server recognizing more than 2GB of memory.  Here is what I have done so far:

1. added /3GB switch in the boot.ini file

2. sp_configure 'max server memory (MB)', 3072

3. sp_configure 'min server memory (MB)', 3072

4. sp_configure 'set working set', 1

5. reconfigure with override

6. reboot server

At this point, a sp_configure shows 2GB for the maximum setting for the min and max server memory options.  It shows 3072 in the config_values and run_values columns.  When I monitor Target Server Memory in perfmon, it shows 1.7 GB.  Am I missing something?

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• is the awe memory enabled?

And also is sql server clustered? If so were multiple instances active on one node at any point of time??

check the error log to see the msg awe is enabled..

-Krishnan

• AWE is required for memory above 4GB.  You do not need it unless you plan on using more than 4GB.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Which version & edition of SQL Server and which operating system ?

Can't go above 2GB on certain combinations - eg the /3GB switch is meaningless on Win2000 Standard and only works on Win2000 advanced server.

• We are using Windows 2000 Advanced Server.  I just read a kbase from Microsoft stating that the 3GB switch will only work for SQL Server 2000 Enterprise or Developers edition.  We are using SQL Server 2000 standard. That 'splains it!!

John Rowan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply