2016 for the JSON or a third-party control

• Where I work they're considering upgrading from 2012 to 2016 for the enhanced JSON functionality.

Now I haven't looked at JSON within SQL Server - my fun with that has been within MongoDB, so I can't venture an opinion based on experience.

We are looking at third-party controls by ZappySys - http://zappysys.com/products/ssis-powerpack/ for SSIS controls related to JSON.

The current requirement is for an SSIS package to split a JSON document into separate elements for loading into several tables, so not overly complicated.

Is it worth upgrading to 2016 for this functionality or would it better to stick with what we have and use the thirds-party controls?

I have my own opinion but would welcome the opinions of better-informed others.

• BrainDonor (8/24/2016)

Where I work they're considering upgrading from 2012 to 2016 for the enhanced JSON functionality.

Now I haven't looked at JSON within SQL Server - my fun with that has been within MongoDB, so I can't venture an opinion based on experience.

We are looking at third-party controls by ZappySys - http://zappysys.com/products/ssis-powerpack/ for SSIS controls related to JSON.

The current requirement is for an SSIS package to split a JSON document into separate elements for loading into several tables, so not overly complicated.

Is it worth upgrading to 2016 for this functionality or would it better to stick with what we have and use the thirds-party controls?

I have my own opinion but would welcome the opinions of better-informed others.

IMO, upgrading for that reason alone (there are many other reasons, of course) is not worth it.

I've used JSON.net in SSIS and, if you're OK with some C# scripting, it does everything that you'll need to do with JSON.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• +1 , C# works really well.... no need to upgrade just for JSON..!!

• Powershell! Its very easy to work with Json in Powershell.

• Manic Star (8/24/2016)

Powershell! Its very easy to work with Json in Powershell.

Would you care to elaborate on how you have integrated a PoSh solution into an SSIS package or packages?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (8/24/2016)

Manic Star (8/24/2016)

Powershell! Its very easy to work with Json in Powershell.

Would you care to elaborate on how you have integrated a PoSh solution into an SSIS package or packages?

Not SSIS, but you can schedule a script in SQL Agent.

• Thanks Phil, it's along the lines I was thinking too.

I'm going to ask for the ZappSys product as it includes some other bits and pieces I believe we can make use of.

Manic Star - the combination of POSH and JSON gives me a headache just thinking about it - I don't think I'm ready for that just yet.

Thanks for your time people.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply