2008r2 migration to 2017

• Good Morning Forum,
    I am looking for any input/feedback from users that have done or are currently working on this.

We have several virtual 2008 r2 sql servers (37) with 20-40 databases per server in our production environment. I have been tasked with getting all of these databases into the SQL Server 2017 environment. The server team is standing up servers with Windows Server 2016 and giving them a new server names which I know needs to be done to exist on the same domain; then they are installing SQL Server 2017.  At this point it is given to me to start migrating everything.

However, we have connections of 100+ web applications, 100+ SSIS packages, and SSRS reports that rely on the existing server name. I have ask about standing up the new server, move everything over, and then take down or renaming the 2008 instance (not sure which is best).  After this step, rename the 2017 server to the original name. Being new to the team and job, my suggestions are not really viewed with any weight but at the end of the day, my name is on this task.

Anyway, does anyone have any standards, processes, best practices on how to handle this type of conversion?  Also, any gotchas or points of concern along the way for the people who have already been down this path?

I appreciate in advance any information/advice from anyone who can provide feedback.

• Add an entry to the hosts file to override the dns name on each web and ssis server. Next start changing your environment creating database specific dns entries for your applications to use so if you want to move a database in the future you can simply update the dns.

• I I found this article which helps you in migrating SQL Server 2008 to 2017. Hope this help you out:
    https://dzone.com/articles/best-way-to-migrate-sql-server-2008-database-to-20 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply