2008 R2 SP2 Install fails with no messages

• You know, it's been so long I don't remember. Maybe delete them from your profile and if the problem persists, delete, move or rename them from others?

Shaun

• Did you find out what is causing this - as I have exactly the same problem.

Cheers

Andrew

• This thread is ancient, but I was having this same exact issue on a SQL 2012, windows 2008 R2 OS machine.  By looking at the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\SqlSetup.log file after trying to run SP4 installation, I was able to find a thread elsewhere that suggested resetting the IIS security with this command:
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\caspol.exe -machine -reset

After answering yes to that, the SP4 installation proceeded as expected.

Took me two days trying to search down an answer to this, and glad I found this thread.  Thanks all!

• S. Kusen - Thursday, April 19, 2018 10:04 AM

This thread is ancient, but I was having this same exact issue on a SQL 2012, windows 2008 R2 OS machine.  By looking at the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\SqlSetup.log file after trying to run SP4 installation, I was able to find a thread elsewhere that suggested resetting the IIS security with this command:
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\caspol.exe -machine -reset

After answering yes to that, the SP4 installation proceeded as expected.

Took me two days trying to search down an answer to this, and glad I found this thread.  Thanks all!

Now that is dedication, well done, lets hope this benefits others!

• shaun.stuart - Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:34 PM

I'm installing SP2 on my 2008 R2 servers and it has gone well for the most part. However, I have one machine that is giving me fits.If I run the SP2 install executable, it unpacks and I see a DOS window flash up and disappear. That's it. The temp directory where the files were unpacked gets deleted.I run the install on another and copied the unpack directory over, so it wouldn't get deleted. If I run the setup.exe program, the DOS window pops up and disappears again. So I opened an admin command prompt and ran it that way. All that happens is the copyright message is displayed (Microsoft (R) SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup 10.50.4000.00 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.) and then I am returned to the command prompt.Setup.exe is not shown as running in task manager after I'm returned to the command prompt. I have admin rights on the box. I'm running this from an admin command window. UAC is disabled. Both the SP, server, and OS are 64 bit. There are no entries in the windows event logs. I cannot find any sort of installation log to troubleshoot (I looked for C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap. There was no directory by that name in the 100 folder.). I cleared the Windows Installer directory (%windir%\installer) and the IE cache. I've rebooted the machine. The Windows Installer service is running. This is the same executable that runs fine on other servers (copied from a central share).Does anyone have any other ideas? The server is a test server used for evaluating a new product. It only has SQL Server and this other product on it. We use an older version of the product, so I know it works with SQL Server. OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. It was a new build and I successfully installed SLQ Server 2008 R2 and SQL 2008 R2 SP1 on it when it was built about 2 months ago.The lack of errors or logs makes troubleshooting this somewhat difficult, to say the least.

Shaun, take a look at this article and see if it helps.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Service+Packs/135009/

Mike Hinds Lead Database Administrator1st Source BankMCP, MCTS

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply