2008 distributor and 2005 publisher (Transactional Replication)

• Hi,

I have configured distributor on Sql server 2008 and I'm trying to create a a publication on a server ( sql server 2005). I get the following error when i try to create a publication through the sql server 2008 ssms .

SQL Server could not connect to the Distributor using the specified password.

Connection to server [Serv1] failed.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "8xxxxxxxxA-Bxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx" returned message "Login timeout expired".

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "8xxxxxxxxA-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx" returned message "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.".

The sql server versions are :

9.00.1399.06 RTM

Enterprise Edition (64-bit) (Sql server 2005) publisher

9.00.3042.00 SP2

Developer Edition (64-bit) (Sql server 2005)- publisher

10.50.1600.1 RTM

Standard Edition (64-bit) (sql server 2008)- Distributor

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Leo

• from the above mentioned publisher,which version of 2005 are you using. is it Dev or Enterprise.

• Dpac (12/8/2011)

...this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.".

Check whether remote connection is enabled or not.

• Dpac (12/8/2011)

Hi,

SQL Server could not connect to the Distributor using the specified password.

Connection to server [RS02] failed.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "8xxxxxxxxA-Bxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx" returned message "Login timeout expired".

Try adding a host file entry in the publisher for distributor server. Likewise add a host file entry in distributor server for publisher server. That may resolve your issue.

P.S. I am assuming that you are providing the correct password which you have set during the replication configuration.

Sujeet Singh

• I had to create an alias to the distributor on the publisher to solve the issue. Thanks

• Glad to hear this 🙂

Sujeet Singh

• Dpac (12/12/2011)

I had to create an alias to the distributor on the publisher to solve the issue. Thanks

Thanks for posting the solution. It will help others.

• I'm having the same issue. Can you explain how you created an alias?

Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply