2005 Upgrade Paths

• I am currently putting together a plan to upgrade from 2000 SP3 to 2005. Our production servers currently have 2000 Ent. Edition and dev/test machines have 2000 Dev Edition. Is it possible to upgrade these 2000 editions to 2005 Standard edition?

The following link, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx, essentially shows valid upgrade paths between equal or “lesser” editions only. I was wonderint if it’s still possible to upgrade from 2000 Ent. to 2005 Standard and it’s just not documented, or maybe not supported.

Thanks!

• Assuming you have not used any features that are not supported in the standard edition, you can detach a database from SQL 2000 Enterprise and attach it to SQL 2005 Standard - or use a backup and restore approach.

• It's a pretty basic environment, no Analysis or Reporting Services, data warehousing, etc..., just DTS. So an in-place upgrade is not possible, just detach/re-attach or backup/restore as you mention?

Thanks for your reply.

• In-place won't work from 2000 Enterprise to 2005 Standard. Backup-Restore will work. So will the SQL 2005 "Copy Database" function, or Detach-Attach.

There are some things to make sure you do first, like check the upgrade wizard. I'm assuming you've gone through all that with Dev Edition, per your first post, so you should be good to go.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks for the advice G!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply