• Fair enough, Farrell.  I too am quite skeptical everytime I hear that 'the xyz worm caused a bazillion dollars worth of damage to the industry' or whenever I hear whatever the media 'caution du jor' happens to be.  I mean, I'm supposed to use plastic and duct tape to protect my house in the event of a terrorist threat?  Please.  But the media reported that and you couldn't find a roll of duct tape in any store for about a month. 

That said, I can tell you that identity theft is a significant and growing concern at least here the South Florida area.  In my case, I was stupid and readily admit it for giving out my credit card info over the phone.  But how many other people do this all the time and don't even think about it?  My parents who also live in the area recently received a call from the local police agency.  Seems they were raiding a house looking for a suspect and came across several of my mother's cancelled checks along with some more from other unsuspecting people.  The police had uncovered a check washing operation and while my parents didn't get hit, it was probably hours away from happening (and yes, now they have a shredder too ).  I have other friends here who have been victims of  identity theft or even mortgage fraud and it was no fun for them at all. In some cases it took months to straighten everything out.

I love kknudson's idea about returning the CC apps in envelops from other banks.    Got to remember that one.

Membership may have its priveleges but it also has its caveats. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.