• I ran across something that made me think of your corruption issue. From SQL Server 2000 System Administration - Microsoft Press:

(paraphrased to shorten) "Beware of write caching disk contollers - unless the controller is designed for use with a database, you risk corrupting your database. SS2000 relies on the operating system to notify it when an i/o operation has completed. If the write-caching controller notifies the operating system that a write operation has completed that never actually completes, your database can become corrupt. This can occur if the power fails or the reset switch is pressed before a write operation of data in the cache has actually been written to the drive. Write-caching controllers designed for DBs use a number of mechanisms to prevent this from occurring."

It may be something to consider. Also, you may want to run chkdsk on the hard drive(s). I recently had some odd problems that I thought were due to SS/DB corruption, but it turned out to be due to bad sectors on my hard drive. I replaced the HD, re-installed SS and restored from backups prior to the corruption. Since then things are running smoothly.

Good luck.

Bill