I just finished installing Oracle client 11.2 (both 32bit and 64 bit) on one of my test servers with Win 2k8R2 + SQL 2k8R2 64bit.
Everything installed OK and tested, no need to restart the sql service.
1. Check that you installed the 64 bit version of Oracle client
registry (open regedit):
- "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\" and see if there is a folder "Oracle in OraClient11g_home1"
- "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\" exists with subfolders
- if it is 32bit you should have entries in Wow6432Node
\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\Oracle in OraClient11g_home1" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node
- alternatively you could try the "Import and Export Data (32-bit)" wizard and see if the provider is listed meaning you have installed 32-bit
2. How did you install the components? did you select custom install on the first screen?
- run Oracle Universal Installer and review Installed products to check you haven't missed anything
Let me know if you need more help with this.
(click on Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (18.104.22.168.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64) )