Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Fun with Transactions - Part II

Fun with Transactions - Part II

Author
Hardy21
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice question and good explanation from Hugo. Thanks :-)

Thanks
tommyh
tommyh
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Nakul Vachhrajani (9/16/2010)
Hugo Kornelis (9/16/2010)
This question is actually almost similar to the one two days ago. The only real difference is the use of the extra keywork WORK (that is not required).

That is correct, Hugo. In fact there are 2 more on similar lines coming up. I originally encountered the behaviour that was covered in the question 2 days ago. The rest of the questions are derivatives of my research on the original question.

I hope you like them all :-)

Ah crap. Not more. Have already lost 4 points aint that enough... have mercy ;-)
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Great question, great follow on discussion. Thanks.
Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Thanks Hugo for the explanation.
sjimmo
sjimmo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Thanks Nakul for a very good question and to Hugo for the detailed explanation.

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Chama
Chama
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)

Good questions, it is very clear when you wrote statement
(if _statement) after that. If should be the first print. Because you mention before two insert statement, the last statement you make roll back. What is meant it? That all insert that you make if roll back... That’s I thought...
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

CirquedeSQLeil (9/15/2010)
Good question. I think it is worth noting that this behavior is exhibited because nested transactions do not truly exist in SQL Server.

I have to disagree with you, Jason. Nested transactions do exist, and they work exactly as I think common sense dictates.

Transactions are primarily intended to implement the A and I of the ACID properties: atomicity and isolation. Nessting fringes with that goal, and I can easily imagine that the people on the ANSI committee have considered not allowing nested transactions. But that would invalidate many common use cases. If I write a stored procedure that does multiple things but should be considered as a single unit of work, I use BEGIN TRAN and COMMIT TRAN (or ROLLBACK TRAN in case of error) in the procedure code. But what if I next have to implement a stored procedure that is also considered a single unit of work, but that includes the first stored procedure? I use BEGIN TRAN/COMMIT TRAN in the outer procedure; I call the inner procedure, and there we have the nesting. Prohibiting nesting would requiere me to duplicate the code, which I obviously don't want.

Support for nested transactions is unavoidable. But what are the "most correct" semantics? Consider the example above. The inner stored procedure implements actions 2.1 and 2.2, as a single unit of work. The outer stored procedure implements actions 1, 2.1, 2,2, and 3, also as a single unit of work. And it does so by caling the inner procedure.
So what should a nested COMMIT do? It can not really commit the changes of actions 2.1 and 2.2. After all, action 3 might still fail, and in that case the whole outer procedure needs to be rolled back, including actions 2.1 and 2.2. Otherwise, the outer procedure would not be atomic. So the only thing the COMMIT can do is to decrease the nesting level counter; actually committing the data has to be postponed until all nesteed transactions have finished.
Conversely, a ROLLBACK in the nested transaction should roll back ALL open transactions. If it would only rollback the effects of the nested transaction, the outer procedure could continue to perform action 3 and commit. IN that case, actions 1 and 3 are committed, but actions 2.1 and 2.2 are not. The procedure is no longer ACID. Making any rollback, regardless of nesting level, roll back ALL open work prevents that problem.

This question is actually almost similar to the one two days ago. The only real difference is the use of the extra keywork WORK (that is not required).

I will defer to this:
http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/A-SQL-Server-DBA-myth-a-day-(2630)-nested-transactions-are-real.aspx

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Adi Cohn-120898 (9/16/2010)
Good question. I think it is worth noting that this behavior is exhibited because nested transactions do not truly exist in SQL Server.

It is worth mentioning that although nested transaction doesn't exist in SQL Server, you can still rollback parts of transaction and commit the rest of the transaction with the use of save points

Adi

Good point.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Terry Mott
Terry Mott
Valued Member
Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)

CirquedeSQLeil (9/16/2010)

I have to disagree with you, Jason. Nested transactions do exist, and they work exactly as I think common sense dictates.

Transactions are primarily intended to implement the A and I of the ACID properties: atomicity and isolation. Nessting fringes with that goal, and I can easily imagine that the people on the ANSI committee have considered not allowing nested transactions. But that would invalidate many common use cases. If I write a stored procedure that does multiple things but should be considered as a single unit of work, I use BEGIN TRAN and COMMIT TRAN (or ROLLBACK TRAN in case of error) in the procedure code. But what if I next have to implement a stored procedure that is also considered a single unit of work, but that includes the first stored procedure? I use BEGIN TRAN/COMMIT TRAN in the outer procedure; I call the inner procedure, and there we have the nesting. Prohibiting nesting would requiere me to duplicate the code, which I obviously don't want.

Support for nested transactions is unavoidable. But what are the "most correct" semantics? Consider the example above. The inner stored procedure implements actions 2.1 and 2.2, as a single unit of work. The outer stored procedure implements actions 1, 2.1, 2,2, and 3, also as a single unit of work. And it does so by caling the inner procedure.
So what should a nested COMMIT do? It can not really commit the changes of actions 2.1 and 2.2. After all, action 3 might still fail, and in that case the whole outer procedure needs to be rolled back, including actions 2.1 and 2.2. Otherwise, the outer procedure would not be atomic. So the only thing the COMMIT can do is to decrease the nesting level counter; actually committing the data has to be postponed until all nesteed transactions have finished.
Conversely, a ROLLBACK in the nested transaction should roll back ALL open transactions. If it would only rollback the effects of the nested transaction, the outer procedure could continue to perform action 3 and commit. IN that case, actions 1 and 3 are committed, but actions 2.1 and 2.2 are not. The procedure is no longer ACID. Making any rollback, regardless of nesting level, roll back ALL open work prevents that problem.

I will defer to this:
http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/A-SQL-Server-DBA-myth-a-day-(2630)-nested-transactions-are-real.aspx

To add to Mr. Randal's excellent points in the linked article, I'd like to observe that Hugo's example of two stored procedures, each containing a ROLLBACK statement, doesn't work cleanly.

Supposed ProcA begins a transaction, then executes ProcB. ProcB begins a "nested" transaction and then performs a ROLLBACK before exiting. When ProcB exits, SQL Server raises error # 266 - "Transaction count after EXECUTE indicates a mismatching number of BEGIN and COMMIT statements. Previous count = 1, current count = 0." Here I disagree with Hugo that this is as "common sense dictates."

To cover your bases, every stored procedure that might perform a ROLLBACK needs to always check that @@TRANCOUNT = 1 before rolling back. If I'm going to have to always check whether I'm in a "nested" transaction prior to rolling back, I might as well check for an open transaction prior to performing BEGIN TRAN in the first place, rather than pretend nested transactions are real in SQL Server.

Or am I missing something?
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

Terry Mott (9/17/2010)
Supposed ProcA begins a transaction, then executes ProcB. ProcB begins a "nested" transaction and then performs a ROLLBACK before exiting. When ProcB exits, SQL Server raises error # 266 - "Transaction count after EXECUTE indicates a mismatching number of BEGIN and COMMIT statements. Previous count = 1, current count = 0." Here I disagree with Hugo that this is as "common sense dictates."

To cover your bases, every stored procedure that might perform a ROLLBACK needs to always check that @@TRANCOUNT = 1 before rolling back. If I'm going to have to always check whether I'm in a "nested" transaction prior to rolling back, I might as well check for an open transaction prior to performing BEGIN TRAN in the first place, rather than pretend nested transactions are real in SQL Server.

Or am I missing something?

Hi Terry,

As an old-school lover of clean programming, I can only endorse this - but make sure that you also return the error condition to the calling stored procedure. If the nested procedure runs into an error, rolls back all changes, and then starts a new transaction to bump the @@TRANCOUNT back to 1, the calling procedure needs to know in some other way that it should not continue performing the rest of the actions and then committing that partial change.

The error #266 you mention, while ugly as can be, at least ensures that the calling procedure doesn't continue as if all is dandy!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.