Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Ways to minimize sort operations

Ways to minimize sort operations

Author
Nils Gustav Stråbø
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Brian, I'm have to apologize to you because for some reason my eyes and brain didn't see that you kept the ORDER BY clause. For some reason I thought that the article explained a way to get rid of the ORDER BY, but when I read it again I don't know where that idea came from Rolleyes

Again, I'm sorry. Its a good article !
brian118
brian118
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)

Jason Lees-299789 (9/15/2010)
Like Nils, I dont quite understand the reason for the article, in 95% of cases the sort operation is the least of your worries in a plan, especially when you've joined 2 or 3 tables together to bring back an amalgamaged dataset, such as Stock levels by product, and unfilled orders.

I'm not a fan of the Non-clustered Index with all other columns in an Include, one or two columns that are commonly associated with the business key, eg Indexed on ProductNumber, with the ProductName and ProductCode as include columns is reasonable.

Thanks for your feedback!

I would put my worries when studying a plan where I have the biggest cost, which in this case I wanted it to be the sort operator, and that's why I didn't use a complicated SELECT statement. Yes, I agree, if the SORT operator is only a fraction of the total query cost I would not bother with improving it!

Regards
Brian Ellul
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate, and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination.
- Albert Einstein -
brian118
brian118
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)SSC Veteran (290 reputation)

Nils Gustav Stråbø (9/15/2010)
Brian, I'm have to apologize to you because for some reason my eyes and brain didn't see that you kept the ORDER BY clause. For some reason I thought that the article explained a way to get rid of the ORDER BY, but when I read it again I don't know where that idea came from Rolleyes

Again, I'm sorry. Its a good article !

No problem and welcome :-)

Regards
Brian Ellul
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate, and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination.
- Albert Einstein -
salman.samad
salman.samad
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (463 reputation)SSC-Addicted (463 reputation)SSC-Addicted (463 reputation)SSC-Addicted (463 reputation)SSC-Addicted (463 reputation)SSC-Addicted (463 reputation)SSC-Addicted (463 reputation)SSC-Addicted (463 reputation)

It's always refreshing to read clear, consise articles that get your grey matter spinning, even though they might not apply to you directly.

Nice job Brian!
deanroush
deanroush
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

Thank you for taking the time and effort to submit:-) this article. I always appreciate reading about how to optimize queries and actually being able to understand what the writer is trying to convey. I also appreciate the other feedback as a reality check!
alen teplitsky
alen teplitsky
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

there were a few times i changed the sort order of indexes to make things a bit faster. when you can't spend $6000 on extra storage because all the internal hard drive bays are full but you need to optimize I/O performance you look at every little thing.

i'm waiting for the SSD server drives to get cheaper to try them out by putting tempdb on them
sjsubscribe
sjsubscribe
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)

alen teplitsky (9/15/2010)
there were a few times i changed the sort order of indexes to make things a bit faster. when you can't spend $6000 on extra storage because all the internal hard drive bays are full but you need to optimize I/O performance you look at every little thing.

i'm waiting for the SSD server drives to get cheaper to try them out by putting tempdb on them

After playing with SSDs for tempdb, I've concluded it's best to make all drives SSDs to get the max bang for the migration. Just tempDB seems to be an awfully small improvement for the level of disruption on the main box. On the other hand, for external raids and such, SSDs can be slowly implemented as prices come down.
alen teplitsky
alen teplitsky
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

the enterprise SSD's are something like $7000 for 200GB or so. forgot the exact numbers from the HP branded ones. a 146GB hard drive is less than $300. for the data i can buy up a lot of hard drives to spit the IO up. the new Proliant G7's support up to 16 hard drives in a 2U server
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Nice article - thanks. Good examples.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

bouarroudj Mohamed
bouarroudj Mohamed
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)

A more efficient and clean way to do it is on client side

Bouarroudj Mohamed
www.sqldbtools.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.