SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How to create an user friendly excel file via SSIS?

How to create an user friendly excel file via SSIS?

Author
fateme.heidari
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi everyone,
I have an ssis package that creates 4 data sheets in a excel file, the data are comming from some tables in sql server
When I create a excel file, I send that file to some email address.
But my problem is that the excel sheets that are created, are not very user friendly, and I need the headings be shaded, wrapped text, wide enough for the cell contents etc.
Is there any solution for above requirement.
I'll appreciate for any help.

Regards,
WayneS
WayneS
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)

SSIS will not do this automatically.
However, you can use a vb.net script task, excel automation, and set it all yourself. However, this would imply that you are running excel on a server, and this is not supported.

This article: Automating Excel from SQL Server might be helpful in figuring out how to utilize Excel Automation. It's designed around using T-SQL, not vb.net, but it should be easily adapted.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings

fateme.heidari
fateme.heidari
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Hi WayneS,
Thanks a lot for you response.

Cheers,
Fateme
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

Or you could embed some code in an Excel spreadsheet and (maybe) use this blank worksheet as a template.

The SSIS process populates the spreadsheet template with data and when the user opens it they can click on the 'Format' button and the pre-written code executes to tidy things up as required. Or you could make it auto-execute.

The benefit of this approach is the avoidance of the need to install Excel components on your SSIS server.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Alvin Ramard
Alvin Ramard
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Another option is to use a Script Task to format the spreadsheet after the data has been written. This option should probably be left to the experienced programmer. I do not have the time to explain how to do it.

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
fateme.heidari
fateme.heidari
Forum Newbie

Thanks a lot Phil and Alvin,
Both solutions will be usefull.

Regards,
Fateme
WILLIAM MITCHELL
WILLIAM MITCHELL
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Just an idea, but you could use SSIS just to prep the data into staging table(s) and then use SSRS to create a formatted report & create a timed subscription to deliver the Excel file via email.
Alvin Ramard
Alvin Ramard
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

WILLIAM MITCHELL (9/2/2010)
Just an idea, but you could use SSIS just to prep the data into staging table(s) and then use SSRS to create a formatted report & create a timed subscription to deliver the Excel file via email.

That should be easier than my solution.

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
vani_r14
vani_r14
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)

Hi there

You could create a template excel wkbook and store it in a template folder... Each time before the package runs - copy the file over to the working folder get the data imported and emailed... LAter on if needed you could rename these files and store it in archive folder...

I recently had to do this and have done it this way... i have documented the process of copying and renaming files and creating excel sheets dynamically and renaming it... i can send them to you if you would like to use them

Cheers
Vani
fateme.heidari
fateme.heidari
Forum Newbie

Thanks alot Ten,
I am new in SSRS but I am very eager to know more about that, so I think it's good opportunity to learn more detail about SSRS.

And thanks alot to Vani, could you please send me your solution, because I've done that but I got some issue with column that has numeric value.
I mean sometimes the header format will be copy to all of column's cells.

I'll appreciate for your help.

Regards,
Fateme
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.