SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SET ROWCOUNT and table variable

SET ROWCOUNT and table variable

Author
Carlo Romagnano
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SET ROWCOUNT and table variable

I run on tuttopodismo
Oleg Netchaev
Oleg Netchaev
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

This is an excellent question, thank you. I answered it correctly because for years I cannot find the answer to the following question: why would anyone ever consider casually using float data type? I understand that there might be some specific scenarios where the inaccuracy of calculations are not important and the range of the numbers is huge, but using float for no good reason is astonishingly bad not to say plain silly. The query in Qotd is one fine example demonstrating this point.

Oleg
UMG Developer
UMG Developer
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Thanks for the question, I had to puzzle it out for a while, but got it right.
malleswarareddy_m
malleswarareddy_m
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

for testing folating point the same can be written as

DECLARE @i float,@rc int
set @i = 0
while @i <> 1
begin
set @i = @i + 0.1
end
select @i

then the loop never executes.

I observer some intrested behavior of floating point

DECLARE @i float,@rc int
set @i = 0
while @i <> 1
begin
set @i = 0.8999 + 0.1
end
select @i

the above will never executes. we use 0.1 instead of 0.8999 other wise we can use 0.2,0.3,0.4,0.5,0.6,0.7,0.8.but when i added 0.9 it executes

and show 1 as answer.

Malleswarareddy
I.T.Analyst
MCITP(70-451)
mccork
mccork
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)

The answer was almost obvious from the "do not run it on production server" recommendation.

But, a good question for highlighting the pitfalls of "float".

Cheers,
- Mark
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

The only possible use for the float datatype that I have found is in the calculations used in astro-physics, where the distance between stars and galaxies is an approximation, at best

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)

Thanks for a great question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

Great question. I got it wrong though. I do not really understand how the scope of the type variable works. It seems you can define it over and over again, without an error being thrown?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Michael Riemer
Michael Riemer
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Very interesting question and great explanations. Thanks
Open Minded
Open Minded
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)

isn't it possible to use approximation if one is not specific of the exact value of the approximation, like "less than" and "greater than" ?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.