SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

AggregateFunction] property to [None]

AggregateFunction] property to [None]

Author
zabistian
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have two dimensions and one fact.

DimClass
- ClassID
- ClassName
- ClassYear (YYYY)

DimStudent
- StudentID
- StudentName

FactResult
- ResultID
- ClassID
- StudentID
- PercentageAchieved

I don’t want to sum [PercentageAchieved]. As I understand I should set its [AggregateFunction] property to [None] to avoid summing up of values.
If I set to [None] it return blank but it's fine with [Sum]. I did try to set the [FormatString] property to [#,#.##] and [Percentage].
Please note the value for [PercentageAchieved] is pre-calculated so I can't write calculated measure in this case...
am I right? Unsure

Thanks in advance
Z
stevefromOZ
stevefromOZ
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Zabastian,

What exactly do you expect to see at the aggregated/higher/highest level of the cube? That is, if you don't want to sum (which I agree would be wrong) or Average the Percent Achieved value, when you are *not* filtered to a single student for a single class, what value do you believe should be shown?

Steve.
zabistian
zabistian
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. No aggregated value but actual value of [PercentageAchieved].
a matrix like....

-------| 2008 | 2009 | 2010
-----------------------------
John | 89.3 | 90.2 | 78.9
Beck | 89.3 | 90.2 | 78.9
Smith | 99.3 | 50.2 | 98.9

Please let me know if it make sense

Thank again
Z
zabistian
zabistian
SSC Rookie

I found a solution on SQLDev - [Not exactly what I was looking for but similar]

http://www.sqldev.org/sql-server-analysis-services/aggregate-function-none-11910.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Sandrine,

I think you need to set the IsAggretable property for the parent-child hierarchy, not setting the aggregate function for the measure.

Double click the Countries dimension, right-click Parent/Child hierarchy in the Attributes pane of the Dimension Structure tab, and then click Properties. Scroll to the IsAggregatable property, and then click False in the property’s drop-down list. After that, the subtotal/total will not appear.

Aggregate function for a measure determines how to display the value along with the dimensions, it will change the fact value aggregate behavior, has no relationship with subtotal/total of a dimension. And if you select None for the aggregation, no aggregation is performed, and all values for leaf and nonleaf members in a dimension are supplied directly from the fact table for the measure group that contains the measure. If there is no value, it will show NULL. More information, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175623.aspx#AggFunction

Hope this helps.

Raymond

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.